Spin-off thread: Consequentialism in EMS

asy

Does the End justify the Means?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• No.
    • Oh YES!!
    • Only when it?s for my personal or my friends? benefit.
    • But I have a really noble cause! Plus I am a medic.

With new DNR threads popping up like mushrooms lately,

With members debating whether or not to become bullet proof or which weapon to carry,

With a general fixation on legalizing stuff (prostitution, guns at schools, immigration) threads

And with a rather astonishing new quest started to reach Google’s First Page by type-chanting the EMT mantra,

I am compelled to have my share in the Ethics Posting department and start a new spin-off poll. I call it: “Does the End Justify the Means?”.

Knock yourselves out.

Yes. If it causes people to think. If it can improve the profession. If it can improve safety. If it.....................................................................

So yes is my answer. :D

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one" or something like that.

So says Spock

but what are the means

and What is the end?

If the end is the ultimate solution or whatever hitler called it then hell no the end doesnt justify the means.

so just what are we thinking about.

...and, do "the many" know what's really good for them? Like VS stated in another thread, do we really want to be led by leaders who are only about as smart as "the many"? Or do we want to be led by somebody who is significantly smarter than "the many", and reap the benefits of that clearer, more intelligent thinking?

Most people simply don't even know what's good for them.

...and, do "the many" know what's really good for them? Like VS stated in another thread, do we really want to be led by leaders who are only about as smart as "the many"? Or do we want to be led by somebody who is significantly smarter than "the many", and reap the benefits of that clearer, more intelligent thinking?

Most people simply don't even know what's good for them.

You know Dust, this begs the question; Have you ever read the B. F. Skinner book, "Walden Two"?

Dwayne

Dang it asy you made me think again.....

Well my personal thought is yes... the ends do justify the means.

But then again you have the guy you cut off his arm to save his life and he sues you because he has no arm. You saved his life (the end) but he does not want to live with only one arm (not justified to him).

(but hey what do I know I am just a nursing home nurse :?: :wink: )

Terr

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one" or something like that.

Thats utilitarianism... The greatest good for the greatest amount of people. Start a new thread, jacker. ;)

Thats utilitarianism... The greatest good for the greatest amount of people. Start a new thread, jacker. ;)

Utilitarianism is a form of Consequentialist philosophy.. Consequentialism is a term with many sub-philosophies or ideas pertaining to the same basic thought..the end is what matters, not the means. Utilitarianism, itself, also has a few different sub-philosophies...

Probably the most direct contrast to Consequentialism would be Deontology...

I would argue that EMS would be more of a deontological profession..

search Immanuel Kant and categorical imperative...

Back to the thread..enjoy the search

My answer to the OP is.....sometimes..I wish philosophy and ethics were that cut and dry... :roll:

You know Dust, this begs the question; Have you ever read the B. F. Skinner book, "Walden Two"?

Nah. I'm more of a poster than a reader. ;)

Besides, Skinner just ripped off all my ideas anyhow.