Osteopathic Medicine

explenture

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Phil is a big fat idiot too. So I guess we can call him Dr. Big Fat Idiot Phil.

I wish you would learn to open up and express yourself Ruff. It is unhealthy the way you keep things bottled up.

Sincerely

Dr. Spenac

Well, people call Dr. Phil "doctor," but he doesn't have a MD or DO.

Ph.D. - but for whoever relies on "Dr. Phil" for advice :shock:

I've always had a little something against Ph.D.'s calling themselves "Doctors" in the sense of the same definition.

My paramedic class medical director is a DO. He is great for trauma and medical assessments. He has helped me in not getting tunnel vision. Now I have only worked under one MD and he was more of a get them here now and treat what you can. The DO is more of learn everything you can if it is not a immediate life threat and then transport. It is more of a different approach to the same end in tactics. The DO though does seem to care more about patient care. In the end though I am not really qualified to give an expert opinion as it is hard when you only have worked under two Medical Directors

Michael

Well, to be fair, they were doctors before physicians adopted the term "doctor."

I think when the general public hears the term "doctor" though, they immediately think "MD" and MD only. Maybe I just take the general public for being more ignorant than they really are, but I have had several cases where I've had to explain things to people. :lol:

I think when the general public hears the term "doctor" though, they immediately think "MD" and MD only. Maybe I just take the general public for being more ignorant than they really are, but I have had several cases where I've had to explain things to people. :lol:

That's very true and a lot of hospitals designate physicians as being the only staff members to be called "doctors."

Ironically in my area, it is common that the mix of physician ratio is 50/50 DO/MD. A far cry from about 20 years ago, when many was considered similar to chiropractors.

As well, many of the residencies or professors of the M.D. programs in my area are now D.O's especially in emergency medicine. In comparison, in my state it is more difficult to get into the D.O. program than the M.D., they are more popular at this time. Featuring holistic medicine. Personally, (nothing against M.D.'s) but I much rather work in critical situations with an D.O. and as well from now own my personal physician will be a D.O. Yes, there is not much difference in education, but rather the approach and personal traits of having a less MDeity attitude.

R/r 911

Ph.D. - but for whoever relies on "Dr. Phil" for advice :shock:

I've always had a little something against Ph.D.'s calling themselves "Doctors" in the sense of the same definition.

From Wikipedia:

Doctor of Philosophy, abbreviated Ph.D. or PhD for the Latin Philosophiæ Doctor, meaning "teacher of philosophy", (or, more rarely, D.Phil., for the equivalent Doctor Philosophiæ) is an advanced academic degree.

Therefore PhDs are by definition a doctor. QED

From Wikipedia:

Therefore PhDs are by definition a doctor. QED

Of course they are. Please read the post above. I was simply saying the way it is conveyed through the media/public that the general idea that all "doctors" are MDs and MDs only, and how PhDs like to think of themselves highly by toting the media-friendly "doctor" tag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.