McCoy Miller

• 3 weeks later...

It is a shame that you were treated poorly. Anytime someone takes the time to actually go the to factory to learn more about their expensive investment, there should be some mechanism in place to take care of the folks that pay the bills- the customer. You will find that not all ambulance manufacturers are like that. The truly enlightened ones want a client (or prospective client) to visit their facilities and learn more about the product.

I do know of builders that really don't encourage client visits. They have issues with cleanliness, process controls, labor issues, etc. that can be observed by a client and reflect negatively on their decision to purchase that particular brand. I always encourage factory visits to at least perform a final inspection of the complete vehicle(s) before you accept and pay for them. Any problems (real or perceived" can be addressed faster while the vehicles are still at the factory. You can always leave the vehicle at the factory after your inspection for any necessary "fixes" that will guarantee quick attention. If you have a local dealer involved, I know they will be anxious for your vehicle to be completed to your satisfaction, especially if they need to deliver the vehicle to your organization (they want to get paid for their efforts, too!)

If you have doubts about the quality control process, it is best to ask these questions up front before you award a contract. Require copies of the inspection reports, test sheets, process control documents, work orders, etc. to evaluate how they "should" be building your life-saving product. Some of the ambulance now cost more than many homes and you should be getting what you pay for. Unfortunately, too many folks buy something based upon a cheap price, how many lights it has on it, or how shiny the paint is without really considering how it is built (materials, design, workmanship, experience.)

Many fire apparatus folks feel it is a necessity to visit potential fire truck builders in advance of any bid process or award to determine a "feel" that the firm can actually do what they say. Many have learned from experience that there are all kinds of "custom" builders, including some who low-ball a bid and hope to negotiate their way to adding more money later on thru change orders to address things that were "overlooked" in the original bid/quote proposal. Bids are nothing but ink on paper but an in-depth tour will reveal the skills and quality of the craftsman, the determination and commitment of the firm's leadership, and the willing to make sure your visit is a positive experience that reinforces the ability to do what you require. A better-informed customer makes better decisions. I could share numerous horror stories told to me by clients and component vendors about some experiences they have had at some emergency vehicle manufacturers' plants.

A few hints- determine if factory visits are encouraged. Do they have a formal procedure for visits, a customer lounge, courtesy cars, assigned staff to assign you during your entire visit, a dedicated customer inspection area, etc.? Are you treated as a VIP or just another "nuisance?" Are you picked up at the airport if required? Do they organize your hotel, meals, local siteseeing, etc. when you have some downtime? Does the staff look like they are in constant turmoil and in a hurry to get things done or do they act like you are the most important thing they can do today? Do they ask about the money early in the final inspection/delivery process or wait until you are totally satisfied to even talk about "doing the paperwork when you are there to pick up a completed unit?"

McCoy-Miller is a firm that was in bankruptcy until it was bought out a few years back by a local rival firm in Indiana, Marque. I understand that production of both competing product lines is now done under the same roof. That can lead to quality issues and product differentiation among the two competing brands. Why pay more for one product built in the same plant by the same folks, some may ask? What differences am I really getting?

Some public officials may even disqualify bids offered by these two "family" firms under the guise of potential bid collusion. I know that has happened before with other manufacturers of products.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.