Older EMS worker, what do you think?

In 1977 I earned a whopping $5 per 12 hour shift, $5 bucks extra if I got a call between 8p-8a! It was as close as to a volunteer deal as you can get. I was the paid per call car of a small ma' and pa' shop.

LOL! You know, although I am proud to state that I have never been a volly in EMS (and never will be), you make a good point. In 1973 I was getting ten bucks a day to sleep at the funeral home, and ten bucks for any calls I ran overnight. By 1978 I was up to a whopping $2.05 per hour, but only until 9pm. Funny thing is, I usually made as much or more in the funeral home days than I did in the hourly days of the late 70s. Either way, yeah... both were pretty close to being volunteer jobs, considering how little we made.

And yet still, it all had nothing to do with the money, I would have done if for free.

While I don't expect this to be about the money for you, I do sincerely hope that you got that out of your system. This should be more than a hobby for you. This isn't just about helping your individual patients. This is about helping society and the profession at large. Both of those entities are harmed by volunteer systems, not helped. Have a little self respect and respect for the profession, and please do not give your services away for free.

I'm glad to hear that you are in a financial position to focus on your educational development without having to worry about making a living at the same time. That's an enviable position. In fact, it is one of the real advantages of entering the field right out of high school. Not many adults can do that. It's going to be a real asset to you. Again, I do hope that you intend to immerse yourself and go all the way with your education right from the start. Don't stop to play after EMT school, thinking you'll go back and get a paramedic degree later. Your educational development suffers when you take that route. And when your educational development suffers, your patients suffer, and so does the profession.

Speaking of doing it right, your best bet would be to put off even EMT school until after you have taken two semesters of Anatomy & Physiology, as well as some intro psychology and sociology at the community college. Even at the basic level, those are invaluable to any provider. You simply do not know what you don't know until you take those classes. Lucky for you, your engineering background is going to be a big help in understanding advanced physiological concepts. The human body is really just a machine, with all the same components of an internal combustion engine. And, if you have a mechanical background, your ability to make that analogy is extremely helpful.

Stick around and let us know how things are going for you!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't say that right. It wasn't the older students that failed out of the class. They were the 18, 19 with a couple of 21 year olds that failed out. Me and a couple of other older students passed with flying colors! Lol!

Tig :wink:

Note: I was a horrible student, all topics, first thru 12 grade, and on thru my 3rd and final year in college. What the heck, I failed finger painting in kindergarten, as I was all thumbs!

Lately, I seem to be a good student. My mom is always asking me, "Who are you, and what have you done with my son?"

• 7 months later...

Congratulations, I hope you succeed -- here are my thoughts, and i am not trying to disuade you, but coming from the same time period, I have these opinions:

This may not apply at the BLS level, but a big difference from the days when you were here last (depending on region) is that

1. medics now have a much greater level of autonomy, which means your skills have to be sharp. I remember when you had to ask for IV orders and were denied 70% of the time, now you pretty much do your job by protocol, and not through direct physician orders. A dumbass back in the day could fake his way through what he didnt know and just say, hey I wanted to do that, but the doc refused me --- now you cant hide behind that, you have to be able to walk the walk.

2. Most services are or have already transitioned to computers versus pen and paper -- which may be an issue.

3. The younger work force does not have the work ethic that your generation had (in general). You will have to interract and work with the "lets do the absolute minimum necessary to get by" generation every day.

4. You will most likely have a younger boss. The good news is that most of today's EMS managers are better than what you started out with, but they are still whippersnappers to you.

5. With the advent of oneman stretchers and the new hydraulic stretchers, we are far better off than you were with the old twoman stretchers, but our patients have gotten much heavier. I can remember when transporting someone over 300lbs was a rare event --- now 300 is a daily event and 700-1000lbs occurs a few times per year -- and obviously there are many more two story homes and businesses.

Nothing wrong with older people entering the field, hell, I was 44 when I went through EMT school, and had the top grades in the class. Now at 46 going through Paramedic school, I still have the highest grades in class, the younger kids are too into partying, chasing skirts, and being cool, and can't seem to remember that studying is the ticket.

As for the rest, I think that you bring a lot more into the field with your life experience, than a 23 year old does with his MTV life experience.

Keep at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.