Howlin Lock?

Any one here ever hear of a Howlin Lock used to clip on laryngeascopes for difficult intubations?

A Howland lock is attached between the handle and the blade to provide a mechanical lift advantage and better angle to visualize the vocal cords. Never used one, but I have seen it used. Looks kind of awkward to me..

Seems to me, you wouldn't need a goofy looking, probably useless device like a Howland Lock, if you used correct technique during intubation.

For the larger of the populous, and they are growing (pun) in number, I prefer a grandveiw blade.

For the larger of the populous, and they are growing (pun) in number, I prefer a grandveiw blade.

Anybody offering the Grandview in a Welch-Allyn compatible, fibreoptic model yet?

Anybody offering the Grandview in a Welch-Allyn compatible, fibreoptic model yet?

I haven't seen them yet, but I look forward to the day when they become available. I work with more than a few paramedics that have no idea the Grandview requires a different handle than our disposable fibreoptic blades. Let me roll my eyes for you, :roll: can't risk you hurting your eyeballs and being deprived of your posts.

If you worked where I worked, you wouldn't wonder why I have stock in Excedrin Migraine.

The Howland lock and the Grandview are two alternatives to standard laryngoscopy. Neither are meant to replace the other.

The Howland lock changes the angle of the blade at the handle to make it easier to direct visualization to the cords for some patients. The Grandview can't make this happen without over extending the neck.

A Grandview is much better than any currently available fiber-optic set up. The light is brighter, the tip of the blade is easier to see, and the tongue is better managed. The H.I.D. bulb by itself is worth the MSRP. Since I bought mine, I've not had to use any other set up outside of nasal intubation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.