EMT-B programs in Michigan

OK Dust first I could give a damn if you rip me or not. You are an internet bully and will tear to pieces anything you don't agree with. Second if you want to be a paramedic a degree doesn't mean a lot. Only 2 or 3 out of 60 or so ALS fire depts require a degree. Private ambulance could care less if you have a degree. There is only 1 third service in the metro area and they don't require one. As for the CC's vs private schools. the 3 local CC's have mostly FD instructors that have a lower pass rate on the NREMT test than the Pvt schools.

The reason to get a degree is the future. We all understand that most services do not care where you got your card as long as it makes you a warm body to fill a spot on the ambulance. With a degree you can look at a change of career much easier. Plus if you decide to go further with your education it will transfer where the certification will not transfer to any reputable school.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 2 or 3 out of 60 or so ALS fire depts require a degree. Private ambulance could care less if you have a degree. There is only 1 third service in the metro area and they don't require one.

This will most likely change in the future..sooner than you may think. Especially in the fire service where the competition is much greater, due to the '2 or 3 out of 60' you identified. More and more fire departments are requiring degrees to even get an interview. If a paramedic license is required now, a degreed paramedic will be required shortly..simply due to supply in demand. It is a weeding process more than anything.

Have you not noticed that, even in the fire service, degrees in almost anything put you in the front of the line for interviewing process. They may not be ALS service, but still require paramedic license and a degree, at least an Associates. I am not a firefighter, never have been, never want to be, but I can see this.

'Times they are a changin', and to suggest that preference be given to a non degreed program over a degreed program is ridiculous. The graduates from Community Colleges that I have precepted and worked with are far more advanced than the graduates of private service classes. If for nothing else than the additional language arts, mathmematics, A&P, Patho/Phys, and pharmacology classes required by these institutions.

I have worked with and around graduates from KCC and LCC, and have been pleasantly surprised. I have had the opportunity of knowing the instructors and administrators of the EMS program at KCC, and I don't believe they are overrated. If a graduate fails the boards after a KCC program, it is their own fault.

Again...My opinion, but I do have first hand knowledge of both programs. If the distance is not too great, I recommend either one.

Take it for what it is worth...

Look the OP just asked for a decent place to take EMT at. The school I took medic at is close and good. What is basic worth anyways 3-4 credits? it's not the end of the world if he doesn't get his basic at a college. CCMEDOC if the OP is living in Troy, Lansing would be 1 1/2 - 2 hours away and never heard of kellog but I would assume that it is in Battle Creek so that would be 3.5- 4 hours away. I don't care how good the class is I wouldn't drive that far.

http://www.macomb.edu/ProgramDescriptions/...encyMedSvcs.asp

http://www.macomb.edu/healthsafety/emergencymedsvcs.asp

Is this closer...It is a degree program, no? Much better than a certificate. The Basic is certificate, but counts toward requisite courses and credits..win/win..If the OP wants to further their education, it is already in the works.

Again, an opinion..

Woah...Thanks for all the replies!

Just to clarify a bit, I am currently a college freshman at the University of Michigan (ann arbor). I am hoping to pursue a medical career and am doing a pre-med type major currently. I really like the prospect of being involved at such and early time, and hoping I could find a nice niche to work in over the next couple years, that also teaches me more about medicine.

As for now, I am just looking to get an EMT-B, and get a job doing whatever for the ambulance companies. Perhaps later I could extend that training, but I am also hoping to go to medical school, so it is unlikely that I will get a paramedic degree.

But yeah, so this summer I just want to try out the EMT-B program, get certified (hopefully) and try to get a job for next year at school.

Hope this clarifies a bit...I saw a lot of mixed responses.

Once again, thx very much,

-Sean

OK Dust first I could give a damn if you rip me or not. You are an internet bully and will tear to pieces anything you don't agree with.

That's because we are talking important shit here, boy. This isn't "what's your favourite siren tone" or "who's the cutest American Idol contestant" talk. This is professional advice to the people who are looking to join the profession I have devoted more years to than you have been alive. It does make a difference, whether you are smart enough to see it or not.

Second if you want to be a paramedic in this area a degree doesn't mean a lot. Only 2 or 3 out of 60 or so ALS fire depts require a degree. Private ambulance could care less if you have a degree. There is only 1 third service in the metro area and they don't require one.

You are an absolute idiot without the slightest clue what EMS is about (see, both of us can play the name-calling game). The point of education is not to simply achieve the minimum requirements that a potential employer is looking for. The point of education is to become the very best medical provider that you can possibly be. Do you really think that there is no potential difference between a degree education and a quickie tech-school education? Only those who have no education think it doesn't matter. You don't even know what you don't know. Go play with your hose.

As for the original poster, I suggest that you find some other way to learn about medicine. EMT is not medicine. Nor is it a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Quite honestly, being an EMT is more likely to keep you from ever even finishing pre-med than it is to help you get into med school. The numbers tell the whole tale. EMT is just a silly, three-week, eighth grade level first aid course for those who will be responding regularly to field emergencies. You'd get more valuable exposure volunteering in a hospital or being a lifeguard. And that way, you wouldn't be further screwing up our profession by being a transient with no real intent of staying and making it a better place. We already have too many tourists in EMS. Good luck in med school, but please don't disrespect our profession in the process.

Well this kinda changes things. If you are already in college you probably should go to one of the CC's if the credits will transfer. you are working toward a goal, you shouldn't waste any credits. either oakland CC in Auburn hills or the one ccmedoc said out of maccomb CC. OCC is right up 75 about 20 min away. Good luck

My daughter took her EMT-B at a community college and had a very hard time. She actually ended up taking the whole class over (after getting a 79.9 her teacher wouldnt round that to an 80, I was quite upset) with an Ambulance service and passed with flying colors, so after her experiance, I would suggest really looking into the college and Ambulance services before you make a desicion

My daughter took her EMT-B at a community college and had a very hard time. She actually ended up taking the whole class over (after getting a 79.9 her teacher wouldnt round that to an 80, I was quite upset) with an Ambulance service and passed with flying colors, so after her experiance, I would suggest really looking into the college and Ambulance services before you make a desicion

Ambulance services may have a different motive; they need warm bodies to fill minimum wage jobs. A college usually strives to produce academically sound classes with standards set by accrediting agencies.

M...after getting a 79.9 her teacher wouldnt round that to an 80, I was quite upset.

That's the difference between a real educator and just an instructor.

You're not seriously suggesting that we should lower our standards even more than they already are, just so nobody gets their feelings hurt, are you? It's a three-week first aid course, not rocket surgery. Can't pass? Slow learner? Take it over again. That simple. You can still turn out to be a great provider in the end. But not if you FAIL to learn the basics of that simple class.