Info on AMR

mshow00

It sure is, but doesn't make it any less boring :lol:

4-6 hours once a year isn't so bad, but it seems like the end of the world when that time rolls around. Haha.

I'm already getting a feel for that. We have had to do two or three otc and yes it sucks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I'm working for a branch of AMR that has it's act together fairly well. We have all the toys (i.e. Lifepack 12's, hydraulic assist gurneys, GoBook computers with EPCR's and a Computer Aided Dispatch program that works pretty well) and if I heard correctly we're the only county that can wear t-shirts. I realize this doesn't mean THAT much, but is very nice.
It means allot to the AMR branches that have truck's that have 300,000 plus miles on them still in service in 911 communities, that have stair chair's, stretcher's, board splint's,traction splint's etc. from companies that they aquired 10 and 15 year's ago. A maintenance dept. that uses's Bondo as a favorite tool so the vehicle's can pass state inspection, supervisor's that do not and will not go "above and beyond" to do anything for their fellow employee's due to pressure from upper management being disgruntled about a majority vote in for a union. ( another story all together :roll: ) I love my job with all my heart but I'm ashamed some day's to put my uniform on... I know.. LEAVE! but after 18 plus years (seniority after aquisition's) I cant move due to money reason's.

Oh and with that being said and all the time there ...I have yet to see us gain ONE new 911 contract

Based on the AMR employee responses it really sounds like an organization that is screwed up. The fact that some have all the toys and others have none leads to disgruntled employees and worse poor patient care because of lack of equipment. The guys with all the toys seem happy. Those that are neglected sound it. They really need to take a look at themselves as a whole and spread the wealth around to all areas.

As for complaining about a whole 4-6 hours of training a year all I got to say is what the hell? You should do that much every month minimum. I am sorry it robs you of TV time but we are dealing with peoples lives. Even if not required by the company you should be professional enough to get your butt a book and study. Getting the patch is not the end its the beginning. I apologize if I misunderstood.

The issue with the AMR "training," at least as I remember it, was that is isn't about making you a better medic/emt/whatever. It's all corporate policy and that type of BS. No medical training involved.

Thats exactly it. Nothing having to do with patient care. Some of it is somewhat useful, but for the most part its all about corporate policies that I have little or nothing to do with i.e. billing policies and a lot of things such as fire extinguisher guidelines that I already know, partly because I did the same training last year :D

I would be all for getting paid for training that for instance I could get CE's for, or SOMETHING to do with patient care. At least for me this stuff is pretty boring. Especially when you get pulled off the streets and stuck in a tiny computer room for 4-6 hours being told not to leave until you're done :?

There's some HIPAA stuff in there. Which I admit is important to know. But the reason we have to do this stupid training at all is because a number of years ago AMR got caught exaggerating some numbers for transports to the government and got caught. So they were made to enter into this contract with them to have mandatory training for all employees. Its called a CIA (Corporate Integrity Agreement), and it's basically to make sure we're all keeping our scout's honor :wink:

See, the reason I asked was because there are a lot of places that do seemingly useless required training. Learning about fire extinguishers, blood born pathogens, TB, and a ton of other things (MSDS, mandated reported) is kinda of useless if your just going to be doing non-invasive research on human subjects (EEGs in my case). Mind you, it was a requirement to take a 1 unit ethics course prior to even thinking about research that covered things like institutional review boards. The point is, though, everyone at the hospital had at least a minimum amount of training covering general hospital procedures and policies. You can't claim that you "didn't know" this way.

Also, it sounds like AMR got its hand caught in the cookie jar. For better or worse, you're being punished for the sins of your coworkers past and present.

Here's my two cents.

AMR West coast good company.

AMR Midwest good Company.

AMR East coast absolute shit.

The first two I can say because I have worked for them in those areas.

The last one because that is all I hear is how shitty it is on the East side.

Hah, spell check doesn't accept defibrillate but it it accepts shitty. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.