medic to LVN

zzyzx

Also, in case you didn't know it (it's only a few years old), UC-Irvine has a BSN program as well as an LVN-RN track (not degreed though).

http://www.cohs.uci.edu/nursing/up_prospec..._students.shtml

ugh... that nasty lottery process... you have to have what, a 4.0 or higher to even get there? geez.

Anywho, LomaLinda, San Bernardino and other Universities are doing the LVN-RN(BSN) transition, which adds another 4 classes to your prerequisite list but getting accepted in one of those programs is almost as bad as into a regular ADN program.

When you talk about the LVN-RN track... are you talking about that 30-unit program??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked into the LVN to RN thing some more and have found that it's really not the way to go. Looks like I'll apply for an RN program and hopefully get in within 2 years or so.

FYI, I'm not turning my back on prehospital care! In the future I still hope to work as a medic, at least part time. I've been working on an ambulance for almost 6 years now, and I still enjoy it as much as when I first started.

The more I look at the nursing school mess in So Cal, the more I wonder if it might not be just as quick to get into PA school.

The more I look at the nursing school mess in So Cal, the more I wonder if it might not be just as quick to get into PA school.

But, once you do get the RN license in California, the perks and mobility are quite nice. And, even though the wages for RNs in Southern CA are 1/2 to 1/3 of Northern CA (SF Bay area), one can still go contract and get the rent paid along with a decent wage.

But, once you do get the RN license in California, the perks and mobility are quite nice. And, even though the wages for RNs in Southern CA are 1/2 to 1/3 of Northern CA (SF Bay area), one can still go contract and get the rent paid along with a decent wage.

Better yet, get out of California, move to a cheap state, hook up with a travel company, make killer wages traveling to California, and bring the loot back to your cheap ass home. IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

Better yet, get out of California, move to a cheap state, hook up with a travel company, make killer wages traveling to California, and bring the loot back to your cheap ass home. IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

You don't have to move out of California to still be a "traveler" or contract employee. It no longer matters where you live anymore as it had in the past. One just has to hook up with an agency and negotiate a contract. A few health care professionals have eliminated the agency and negotiated they own contract after forming their own agency.

True enough; however, living in a third world country..eh..far southern state that borders on a third world country will be much cheaper compared to living in California. (Generally speaking.) You can visit California during your assignments then bring that money back home while saying "I am sure glad I do not live there." :P

Take care,

chbare.

You don't have to move out of California to still be a "traveler" or contract employee. It no longer matters where you live anymore as it had in the past. One just has to hook up with an agency and negotiate a contract. A few health care professionals have eliminated the agency and negotiated they own contract after forming their own agency.

You could pretty much have your pick of agencies now. What is there now about 6 million Travel Nursing companies. RN mag for example, damn near every other page is a travel agency.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.