Paramedic sits up front on transfer, patient dies

EMS49393

Yeah, as usual, I actually read through most of the article maintaining that benefit of the doubt. But as I got towards the end and saw all the story-changing and inconsistencies, I couldn't help but figure something here stinks.

Although, I would still remain open to the possibility that the media has farked up the story so badly that -- as so often happens -- it says something other than the truth.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good point, Spenac. Considering the laundry list of excuses that are given for the situation, I don't believe this guy is being hung out to dry. If only for the fact that a rhythm strip from four days ago was on her report. I wouldn't deny this guy the ability to defend himself, but that's going to take one hell of a story to explain.

I'd have to agree with Dust regarding what skills were called into question. It sounds like they got rid of him because they saw this day coming and later brought him back, for what reason I don't know. To venture a guess, maybe because there aren't a whole lot of people willing to work there.

It sounds like they got rid of him because they saw this day coming and later brought him back, for what reason I don't know. To venture a guess, maybe because there aren't a whole lot of people willing to work there.

Exactly. Beggers can't be choosers. Typical of the non-EMS services.

And some of them have such a large turnover, that even the supervisors and managers turn over frequently, resulting in a different person sitting behind the desk the next time you apply there.

Yeah, as usual, I actually read through most of the article maintaining that benefit of the doubt. But as I got towards the end and saw all the story-changing and inconsistencies, I couldn't help but figure something here stinks.

Although, I would still remain open to the possibility that the media has farked up the story so badly that -- as so often happens -- it says something other than the truth.

I agree. Sadly I don't think this is just a media screw up. But somebody had to play the what if card.

They charge for Pulse Ox?

Any monitoring has additional fees if you itemize. If you have flat fees for BLS or ALS transports what type of monitoring is done can change a BLS run to an ALS run charge.

Just another thought...

I agree with giving the benefit of a doubt...however by reading the article (assuming the writer didn't fark it up)...it seems as though the Medic attempted to cover his tracks blaming the monitor batteries fell out, and that the strips went through the laundry. Wouldn't it bear to reason if the call could potentially go to litigation, and you were doing your job that you would protect that information to cover your own butt? It seems this medic was careless all around and it may have cost him his career, and a pt their life.

Just another thought...

I agree with giving the benefit of a doubt...however by reading the article (assuming the writer didn't fark it up)...it seems as though the Medic attempted to cover his tracks blaming the monitor batteries fell out, and that the strips went through the laundry. Wouldn't it bear to reason if the call could potentially go to litigation, and you were doing your job that you would protect that information to cover your own butt? It seems this medic was careless all around and it may have cost him his career, and a pt their life.

Actually it's human nature to cover things up so I can see where his response after "HOLY SHIT" was cover up. Get rid of the evidence. After he sat for about 2-3 days he probably realized that "HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN" I probably should have kept all that stuff.

But once it's done it's done.

I'll bet he will have no problem getting a job at McDonalds or Wendy's or even Walmart.

Who knows, maybe his service will promote him to supervisor, we all know that some people rise to their levels of incompetence.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.