Are You Is or Is You Not?

I am one of those once a medic always a medic.

I've been out of the business for about 5 years, now doing ER consulting so I'm not that far away.

But it does stay in your blood. I worked as a medic in rural and urban ems systems for nearly 16 years and I can say that it is still strong in my blood.

My son who is 5 years old asks me why do i still get excited when I hear sirens or see a fire truck or ambulance on the road coming with lights and sirens and I tell him that when he is older and has a job he loved before realizing that I did not want to become a walking back injury that he would understand then.

He likes seeing the lights and sirens and if he chooses to follow in dad's footsteps then awesome but no pressure from me.

I think he would be more into it if I still worked full time in the field.

but yes, once a medic always a medic.

I think a friend of mine said it best, ''If you are doing a job that you would never want to quit, then for one reason or another you have to, and you go back or want to go back, then that's what you are". That's how I feel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.