wnat to move to down under

Are you hoping to gain reciprocity of your NREMT-P in Oz? Or you willing to start at the bottom of the ladder?

I know QAS (Queensland Ambulance Service) has an active recruitment campaign with the UK NHS ambulance trusts, which provides a work visa for successful applicants. I have yet to see a similar program for US medics however, so I suspect there will be a lot more hoops to jump through to make it happen. I suspect this is partly due to the similarities shared by the Australian and UK systems, which are in contrast to that of the US. Such as: autonomous practitioner model, lack of medical control, diploma / degree-level for entry level practice, guidelines not protocols, socialized healthcare systems, as well as (arguably) the "look after ones own British Commonwealth Countries first", which Australia remains.

It would be nice to hear of some US Paramedics who have successfully made the move, but I suspect (just like if an Australian or a Brit were to try to live and work in the US) it may be a lot of hassle.

Good luck!

It really depends on what state you’re looking at going to. A lot of services require paramedics to have a degree. Some services still recruit off the street and train you to a diploma level but this is slowly being phased out. Get in touch with services like Queensland Ambulance, New South Wales Ambulance and maybe even St John in Western Australia and Northern Territory. As far as I’m aware you’d still come over as a student paramedic but you can apply for a lot of recognition of prior learning which may shorten the course quiet a bit. That’s of course if you wish to apply for emergency. A lot of mining companies and non emergency transport services hire overseas paramedics.

Get in touch with the states recruiting officers via the ambulance services websites, those people will be able to provide deferent answers and will be a great help.

Take Care

Thanks Timmy. I am looking at NZ and Australia. I am not for sure what parts I would like to live in. I want to be able to enjoy the culture and life. I think it would be a good way to further my skills. I would also like to further my education if possible.

I do not mind starting at the bottom of the food chain again as long as I would be able to move up and people respected what I knew.

• 5 weeks later...

I am sitting at Heathrow airport waiting for my flight to Australia. I have been given full reciprocity of my UK training and my Visa only took about 3 months from start to finish.

I have been offered double the salary I earn back home and I will be entering the final year of the degree at Victoria in the June intake. The service are happy to employ me as is but said their policy is that all there paramedics either have or are working towards the degree so I have to do it part time by distance learning. ALS course booked for the start of next week to make sure I'm doing it "there way" but it's free and I could use a refresher so I'm not complaining!

Being British I am entitled to an Aussie driving licence, I just have to surrender my UK one (but I get it back if I surrender the Aussie one), I get free healthcare and from what I hear; most of my crewmates will be British anyway (apparently 300 UK bods moved over there last year!)

My plane lands at 18:30 on Wednesday evening (local time) and I have a 25 hour flight to look forward to!

Well you're already spelling like an Australian! :P

Sorry my friends from Oz I couldn't pass it up! :wink:

Bite me Marty

Every case in New South Wales is looked at on an individual basis. They will look at educational levels but will also balance that with practical experience. You would be required to undertake 12 months of preliminary assesment prior to being assessed for EMT-P skills, usually. Every case is different.

The reason there is active recruitment in the UK is due to the similarity in the training & requirements.

All I can suggest is contact them & ask the question.

Phil

• 1 month later...

G'day everyone, here's my knowledge on things down under...

I'm from the US and currently working on my second year of a pre-hospital (paramedic) degree in Australia. If you're looking to head down here to work you will definitely to have to jump through some hoops, but that's not saying it can't be done. As far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you have to hold Australian permanent residential status to work for ambulances services in Queensland, Victoria, and South Australia. New South Wales does offer visa sponsorship, though as previously stated you have to go through the full application process and be accepted like everyone else. I am not sure about the other states.

Another option is that of private ambulance services. It is possible, and not too difficult, to get a work visa which will allow you to come down and pick up a job. Quite honestly, I don't know that much about the private services other than they work events (car races, social/club activities, etc) and for private businesses. Also, they are not regulated - that is, the standard of training & scope of practice is set by each individual company.

A third option that may make things easier is completing an online pre-hospital degree course through an Australian university.

Good luck with everything, hopefully you'll make it down here sometime. Feel free to message me with any questions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.