EMTCity Wikipedia Project

JPINFV

So, in my ever expanding attempts to perfect procrastination, I started doing some editing on Wikipedia, especially the EMS entries. Lets just say that a lot of the entries are lacking in both substance, style, and verifiability.

So, I'm wondering (besides at least one person that I know has edited pages on it), is anyone else actively editing Wikipedia? Does anyone want to help clean up some of the EMS entries? It would especially be nice to spread out some of the sources since I find myself referencing Orange County and New York (helpful with their 121240 levels of EMT) for a lot of examples. As well, getting some Canadian entries (e.g. on the EMT page since that seems to be a general "EMS provider" page) for completeness (I've already gotten someone to rewrite the UK section).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something I have considered several times, and not just EMS topics. It's just one of those round-tuits I've never gotten. Is it pretty simple to figure out? I mean, I can't even figure out MySpace or YouTube, so I'm not sure Wikipedia would be any more up my alley, technologically speaking.

It's not that hard. Click the edit button and it opens up a text box like editing a post on here. The only real difficulties I've run into was with references (specifically the template for web page citations), but that's also something that other people can fix if need be. Also reading the raw text (think of the difference between reading a post on here with formatting changes like color or size changes in it's formatted and unformatted stage) can be a little tough since the references can get long in terms of size. I also had a bunch of repeat references (NHTSA curriculum) until I figured out how to use the same reference multiple times.

I'm glad to see there are people willing to correct the numerous errors I've read while browsing around the pages of wikipedia. I find wiki to be incorrect so often, that I routinely bypass any search that includes references to wikipedia. I guess I just want the truth, not a pill of crap invented by some uber-geek, hormonal teen-aged, basement dwelling, psycho youth that hates the world because they're misunderstood.

Besides, I'm fairly certain any paper I present that even pays the slightest reference to wikipedia would most likely be burned, before it's even read.

In response to the question about cleaning up the EMS entries, I would be more than happy to correct anything I find a miss. I actually look forward to this new way to spend my time at work. :)

Well, there has been studies that have shown Wiki to be on par with paper encyclopedias. Of course people don't cite encyclopedias either when presenting papers. That's what primary sources are for.

Damn college students... I bet you even know how to write up a bibliography when you construct a paper, ya over-achiever, you. :pottytrain1:

This is something I have considered several times, and not just EMS topics. It's just one of those round-tuits I've never gotten. Is it pretty simple to figure out? I mean, I can't even figure out MySpace or YouTube, so I'm not sure Wikipedia would be any more up my alley, technologically speaking.

Now Dust don't go on there and put EMT is being phased out per ................... Or that being a volunteer will be illegal by xxxx. That would be just wrong. But if you do, cite your source real or not and you'll be OK. :twisted:

Thats what I do not like about that site, anybody can post anything and make it sound like fact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.