Another Stolen Amb.

firedoc5

When its cold or hot out, our ambulance is always running and locked.

But there is also a super secret unlock switch on the outside.

It always seems that crews aren't exactly attempting to hide their super secret switches, so it isn't exactly hard for someone observing a crew to find it.

[hr:de177ae3ec]

Hospital security? After all, the vehicle was on hospital propery, perhaps the hospital should be sited for having unauthorized people wandering around emergency vehicles?

Want to see:

Hospital with security controlled access to the ambulance bay. It seems that most ambulance bays that I've seen are directly connected to a public parking lot or road, if not a part of said parking lot or road.

Edited due to stupidity

Is it * or * ? It always seems that crews aren't exactly attempting to hide their super secret switches, so it isn't exactly hard for someone observing a crew to find it.

Is it smart to post that information in a public area?

I try and make a concious effort to be descreet about hitting it. I'm sure not everyone else does though.

[hr:d98aa0340c]

Hospital security? After all' date=' the vehicle was on hospital propery, perhaps the hospital should be sited for having unauthorized people wandering around emergency vehicles?[/quote']

Want to see:

Hospital with security controlled access to the ambulance bay. It seems that most ambulance bays that I've seen are directly connected to a public parking lot or road, if not a part of said parking lot or road.

One of our hospitals is that way. Security has to open the garage door to let you in and out.

Is it smart to post that information in a public area?

I try and make a concious effort to be descreet about hitting it. I'm sure not everyone else does though.

Good point. I've seen plenty of crews from companies that have them (the majority of the ambulances at my company didn't have them) just bend over in plain sight and hit the button. It's not exactly hard to figure out what they're doing when they next get into the ambulance. To be honest, this would be a better reason for having 2 keys than having an auto-open button.

I know a lot of guys think that the battery switch being turned off would be sufficient to keep someone from stealing an ambulance if the rig was turned off. But there are so many out there that at one time or another have "worked" around them in some way and know about the battery switch. That, and some out of just dumb luck figure them out. But my experience goes back far enough to remember ambulances that didn't have a battery switch. They were just the factory stock ignition.

No Kill switch? Door locks???

This was a vehicle belonging to a small private service, who typically do not pay for things like kill switches, keypads, or anything like that. The one I used to work for even disabled the power locks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.