Deadly Sins of Applying to EMS

medic1963

When applying for a position with an EMS agency, what do you think is a deadly sin that would be detrimental to getting hired?

[excluding the obvious like failing a test, skill, or oral board]

With all the focus on QA, do you think it would be helpful for agencies to tell someone why they turned down his/her application?

being a felon

being a sex offender

stealing from a patient in the past

terrible driving record

that is just a few for prior to the interview

In the interview

lying

cussing

bragging that you are the best emt out there and you have saved more lives than Jonas Salk and his vaccine(you get the idea)

Wearing jeans and a t-shirt

burping

farting

lying(oh did I say that already)

arguing with the interviewer

answering the interview questions inappropriately

I've seen all these and more when I was on the hiring team at AMR in Independence MO about 10 years ago.

M

Any lights, stickers, or other identifiers on your POV.

Visible tattoos or piercings.

Involvement with a volunteer fire or EMS service.

The point that separates the winners from the losers is going to be your answer when I ask what your plans are for the next ten years. If that plan does not involve still being employed with me at that time, then I don't need you now either.

being a felon

being a sex offender

stealing from a patient in the past

terrible driving record

that is just a few for prior to the interview

In the interview

lying

cussing

bragging that you are the best emt out there and you have saved more lives than Jonas Salk and his vaccine(you get the idea)

Wearing jeans and a t-shirt

burping

farting

lying(oh did I say that already)

arguing with the interviewer

answering the interview questions inappropriately

I've seen all these and more when I was on the hiring team at AMR in Independence MO about 10 years ago.

M

How in the hell did I get a job???

I'm not taking out my tongue stud Dust!!!

Any lights, stickers, or other identifiers on your POV.

Visible tattoos or piercings.

Involvement with a volunteer fire or EMS service.

The point that separates the winners from the losers is going to be your answer when I ask what your plans are for the next ten years. If that plan does not involve still being employed with me at that time, then I don't need you now either.

This is easy to avoid. Outside of asking about previous EMS experience, your employer has no business knowing about your hobbies or otherwise. More specifically, an employer wanting to avoid a discrimination lawsuit should keep the questions job specific less he/she accidentally use your personal life to form preconceived notions about you. This is why you'll find that most employers avoid asking things like marital status, etc. Granted, being a volunteer firefighter/EMT isn't a protected class, but there are some general pieces of etiquette that apply to most interviews.

Generally just answer questions as they're thrown to you. Offer helpful information only. Dust is right, depending on the agency, your volunteer experience may not be something to necessarily brag about. This goes both ways, but you'd be right to be careful about what information you volunteer. Present yourself as a professional EMT/Paramedic who is willing to learn and adapt to the employer's needs.

Rock the boat after you get hired and completely processed. Employers (good ones that is) invest significant money in making you a deployable member of their team. In most cases, you have to be a real pain in the a$$ or really stupid to get fired. Again, proceed with caution.

Yeah, I don't even have to ask about those things. They'll always list it under the "any other relevant training or experience" section of the application, as if it is something to brag about.

I almost forgot, if you smoke, you're not getting hired. And it is fully within my right to ask.

Yeah, I don't even have to ask about those things. They'll always list it under the "any other relevant training or experience" section of the application, as if it is something to brag about.

I almost forgot, if you smoke, you're not getting hired. And it is fully within my right to ask.

I hate to sound judicious, but it could easily be argued that smoking is indeed a form of addiction. Medical/legal issue. I don't know honestly. I agree that smoking is a bad habit and that it definitely doesn't belong in EMS. I think a better policy would be to just ban it while working and fire the individual on the spot should they get caught.

I think a better policy would be to just ban it while working and fire the individual on the spot should they get caught.

So far, it has withstood every legal challenge. But you make a good point. Sooner or later, they will slip up. Smokers don't have the discipline to maintain the charade. But it sucks to invest in a person and then have to fire them later when you really knew from the beginning they weren't going to work out.

I think the big reason why challenges about smoking have stood is that there is a real cost to the employer in the form of increased health insurance costs. Similarly, why would someone's personal life be necessarily out of bounds? Would it be wrong to not hire someone because they have a habit that the employer feels affects their employees job performance? I would put that down to being similar to the "Do you have a reliable means of transportation" question (which is especially important if an area doesn't have a strong mass transit system).

I find it ironic when describing what they can and can not do to get hired. C'mon, let's get real! Attempt to bring a law suit against an EMS agency for not hiring you and I can assure you every EMS will know your name within a few days..... and then see how well your career will be. I have seen people "black balled" before anything could occure, and it follow them for years or until they give up trying to fight.

EMS alike most health care professions is a very tight group. I have seen more people NOT hired for unprofessional behavior (off duty) and poor display (tongue studs, tattoos, etc) professional demeanor. Really, attempt to "pin" them down for the reason they were not hired versus the "real" reason. Poor interviewing skills is hard to disprove.

Best advice is to be a great employee and a damn good medic, if you plan on being in this profession very long.

I can assure there are many things that follows medics reputation.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.