MVA while working

Sputtervalve

Have you been involved in a ambulance wreck?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes - but not my fault
    • Yes - my fault
    • Nope
    • Nope but I got hurt though

Yeah. Was clearing from an ER I'm in the right seat and we had a ride-a-long in the back. We're in the 1 lane with a raised divider to the left and a 18 wheeler in the 2 lane starts trying to back intoa drive way... the guy behind the wheel of the ambo hits the brakes and then decides to gun past the guy... caught the whole right side and peeled a few things off. No injuries but it shook up the RAL pretty bad.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust, do we actually HAVE an approved list of abbreviations, or do you feel that our posters should have the whatever spelled out first, then abbreviated?

I have posited that we should not use abbreviations here (without "translation"), as something person "A" uses every day might have a different meaning for person "B", and have no meaning at all for person "C".

Just didn't feel like typing it all out... again. :P

Again?

You never told us what RAL meant in the first place.

If you don't "feel" like communicating clearly with us, then kindly hold your posts until such time you do "feel" like it.

It appears that RAL stands for "ride-a-long."

Point of interest, the proper way to introduce a non-standard acronym would be by adding it after the first use of the word, in a manner such as "ride-a-long (RAL)."

crashing is not a good way to get a vacation the pain hurts to much to enjoy the time off

busmva006.jpg

Just on a mention, if the injury is considered a Line Of Duty Injury (LODI), in the FDNY EMS, it is no vacation. We're under "House Arrest", as we are being paid to be at our "place of recovery" from 8 AM to 4 PM, monday through friday. They do both visits and phone calls to verify that you are there during those hours and days.

If you miss the phone call, say, you were in the shower, you have a problem, as did one friend of mine. She had to fight to get her benefits back, and get back on LODI (non-chargeable time), as they (the so-called "LODI Police") had put her on Medical Sick Leave (chargeable time) for "not being home when she was supposed to have been there."

It took her months to do so, but she fought back, and got her sick leave time reinstated, and got, retroactively, her "bennies" (benefits) time and reimbursement for medical expenditures.

We have a telephone number to call, to let them know we are leaving the house to go to a medical or physical therapy appointment, an appointment with the compensation rep or lawyer, or handling child care issues (like taking junior to or returning him from school), or going to the pharmacy for the meds needed for your care for the LODI.

Then, when you return, you have to call again, to let them know you're "back in personal quarters" (my phrase, not an official one).

In addition to losing the LODI "bennies" as mentioned before, you can be brought up on departmental charges, starting with "theft of time from the department". Don't laugh, an academy classmate and 2 former instructors of mine have this as a full time "gig", and that's just the ones I know about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.