Worldwide paramedic programs???

nero847

Hello everyone , I was wondering of anyone here knew of any type of worldwide paramedic program that would train you (and be NREMT compliant) in exchange for working for them afterwards. I heard of a program in Israel but can't seem to find it. I am an EMT in Los Angeles and am trying to find any route I can to become a paramedic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting concept.

What do you mean by any route you can? Are having trouble with the programs in your area and you need to get into a program anyway possible? Or are you specifically trying to get into a program or job abroad? Is it a financial issue?

I don't see why more Private companies don't do this. If you work for them as a Basic and they think your worth the investment, why not put them through medic school.

Most trucking companies will do this. You sign a contract saying I will work with your for x amount of years and your training is paid for. If you leave early you have to pay them back for your schooling.

You should be careful with International qualifications. Research them properly and confirm that they will be recognised here in the US. I have had this issue as mine are UK and South African certifications (with Military and Tac thrown in for good measure). Different countries allow different protocols concerning drugs and procedures. For instance, I am allowed far more scope in South Africa than here or the UK . This is due to the whole EMS settup - there are 3 levels there (basic, intermediate and advanced life support) unlike the usual 2. Intermediates run the ambulance world with a basic onboard, Para's are floating in fast response vehicles, on call to intubate, chest drain, hard core pain relief and sedation etc....all the cool stuff!

Anyway, bottom line is make sure you are going to be able to use your certification when you get back WITHOUT having to fork out money to convert them.

Regards all.

i don't know about anywhere else in the us but in north carolina if you work for ems or fire service then the state will pick up the coast other then books for your medic class. and when you pass the class then you can sit the state and nremt test.

I'm a paramedic in Israel, their are very few paramedic training programs here, most are not validated in the US, oddly i might add, we usually practice here a wider scope of prehospital medicine.

i know that are certification is valid in some countries around the world, not on your side of the globe any how.

just like in the US this job doesn't pay much here either, so don't get your hopes to high...

and finally, except the military no one pays here for your ems school...

good luck...

Well this concept has been discussed on many websites, and listservers for that matter, as much as I would like to believe that this could happen the hurdles to overcome are HUGE.

The international medical community at large can not come to a consesis ... well on damn near anything let alone we lowly "Paramedics" and whatever level, until Paramedicine is a stand alone entity we stand a snowballs chance in hell.

We are really in our infancy as a recognised profession compared to the Nursing profession (for example) I truely hope some day that this could become a reality, realistically it just aint going to happen in my lifetime, not trying to me a neigh sayer but let face it there will be NO yellow brick road their Dorothy .

If those that are interested a UK remote group is trying very hard to get the DIPROM program recognised "Diploma For Remote and Off Shore Medicine" it is based out of Scotland I believe, but just getting into this specialty area requires a vast number of courses and background prior and past experiance a huge deciding factor in employment in this specalised area. In passing the majority are ex Royal Navy RNs with Paramedical training as well with vast experiance in many humanitarian aid and war zones.

cheers and greetings to nuzzy, you isreal's sure have wierd names ... :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.