Florida EMT renewal

Schwaa

Hello everyone. I'm in a bit of a jam here. I received my EMT-B cert on 11/28/2007. The deadline for renewal is 12/1/08. Even if I were to start racking up CE hours today (I have no CE hours yet), I don't believe I would be able to reach the requirement by the deadline. Another EMT at work said that since I received by cert in November 07, that I wasn't required to renew in December of 08 because I'm an exception or something along those lines. Does anyone know anything about this? I checked the FDOH website and cant find anything. If you could help out that would be awesome. (and I will ask my supervisor before my next shift, just haven't had the time yet) Thanks 8)

Yes, you have to renew in Dec., just like the rest of the state. You should be able to get double the CE's in 9-10 months. Why would you think you can't do it?

If you want to get them all at once, just find a refresher course. Then you are done. But, you should take multiple classes and learn new things. That is what CE's are all about.

I think I have close to 300 CE's right now and will have much more by Dec. You have to want to learn and find the classes.

OK, they have changed the site and I could not locate the information.

However, in the past when you were certified close to the set expiration time frame (for example you get certed in November and everyone expires in Dec), you were automatically renewed to the next expiration period since FL likes everyone to expire at the same time.

My best advice to you, is to NOT ask your buddy, NOT to ask your supervisor, and NOT to ask anyone on a web board.

Instead, pick up a phone and call. Set aside the time to take care of an issue that greatly impacts your certification. In my past experiences, they were always easy to get a hold of and surprisingly had reliable information as opposed to the above mentioned sources.

Here is the number

Emergency Medical Tech (EMT) = (850) 488 - 0595

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies! Its really my fault for not looking into this quicker. I should know the requirements and what applies to continuing education, ignorance is not an excuse...

On another note- Since I will be starting Paramedic school in April, does that count as CE? (just a long shot). I figure medic school would be 100x more informative than the hideous CE's my employer provides.

In the past, you would NOT have had to re-cert (meet the CEU requirements) because of your 11/07 initial date. Definitely, check with the state. When I was in Fla, they were very good on the phone but the web site, which they do not do in-house but which is done by state ITS people, was often wrong and/or months out of date. As always, make a record of the name of the person you speak to and the date and time of the call (just in case!)

Good luck. Personally, I would prefer to see you get at least a few more months on-the-street experience before starting medic school. EMS is a mix of academic knowledge and hands-on skills and it takes a while for the two very different skill sets to get working together.