patient question

daveg

(I have already posted this question on another forum so sorry for posting it again, just looking for different opinions)

Hello, I am not a paramedic, so i apologize in advance for writing on your forum but it seemed like the only place to have my question answered accurately.

I am a 17 year old high school student and feel as though I was mistreated and almost abused by paramedics, I'm just wondering if what they did to me is standard protocol or malpractice.

here is my story...

I was is class when I suddenly had a seizure. I ended up falling and cutting my head pretty bad and briefly losing consciousness. When I regained consciousness the school nurse and principal were treating me, minutes later paramedics arrived. The paramedics stethed my chest, then put both a neck brace and oxygen mask on me. They then began cutting off my clothing, they cut away my shirt, pants and uderwear. They even removed my shoes and socks. I uderstand that sometimes clothig needs to be removed, but I was fully conscious and able to move all my limbs, and to top it off my school nurse and principal were still in the room. They then strapped me to a backboard and didn't cover me up until they lifted me up onto the stretcher.

Once i was in the ambulance, the paramedic removed my covers again she gave me a full pysical workup including a pelvic, is this at all needed? She didn't cover me up untill we arrived at the e.r.

Im not an expert, from what I have read there was no need for all of that to be done, I'm hoping that some of you REAL paramedics can give me insight into whether or not this is proper procedure.

NOTES: I was very woozy and experienced lots of back and neck pain. I don't remember the seizure but apparently i fell pretty hard, my cut needed 8 stitches.

Thanks for your time.

Please post back or e-mail me

No need to apologize.

How do you define a "pelvic"?

It is hard to say without being there, but a couple of things to think about.

If you had a grand mal seizure, it's possible your perception of the things that happend directly afterwards are a bit queered. If you've had them before you know what I'm talking about.

With the cut, you complalining of sever neck/back pain etc, it's possible they needed to rule out other injuries. Pretty hard to do with your clothes on.

You say you were conscious during this process, but are you familiar with the difference between consciousness and a postictal state? The difference is important.

Did they go to far? Possibly. If someone in your family had similar complaints, would you in the future prefer that they left the clothes on and hauled them to the hospital with a broken leg, or other untreated injury? I know I wouldn't.

And are you sure you were treated by medics?

Just some thoughts...I look forward to your reply.

Dwayne

I would suggest calling thier supervisor and ask him/her. That would be a really good place to start. You have every right to do so if you wish.

Just a warning: When people reply check out the flag under thier name, every region has thier own "standard of care" and policies. That is why I believe it is important for you to ask them directly.

It is very easy to figure out who I am and where I am, so I will hold off on giving you any "Official" answers, but BASED ON WHAT YOU DESCRIBED I probably would have waited to remove clothing till we were in the rig. (And even then I dunno if i would have went right to the birthday suit)

But like I said every region is different. The hospital I used to bring trauma's to, always told me "Every patient on a board better be naked". The hospital I work with now would rather have underwear left on for Pt. comfort.

by pelvic i mean she felt everywhere around my genitals, not my actual genitals.

im actually not aware of the difference between consciousness and a postictal state? sorry.

and im im pretty sure they were paramedics but im not 100%

well, the first way to determine if they were actually medics or not...what province are you in? Like mobey said, some of us are really easy to identify...so we won't necessarily tell you what should and shouldn't be done...but I'm in Ontario...where everyone is a paramedic...in the other provinces, they might not have been. Tell us though, have you ever had a seizure before?

btw: if you were that uncomfortable, do call a supervisor and ask....I don't know how many times in 10 years I have been questioned on what I had done on a call...and frankly, if I have made a patient uncomfortable, please let me know so that I can apologize and not do it again!

Brat :angel8:

So this was your first seizure then? Any idea what cause it?

When folks are in a postictal state they are awake, but not completely oriented.

For example, one lady asked to use the bathroom before being loaded. A pretty lady, very feminine. When she was gone for a while, I asked if she was alright, and got no answer. I let a few more seconds go by, knocked, asked again, again with no answer. So I opened the door and stuck my head in...at which time she screamed "I'm trying to take a f*cking sh*t! Will you close the f*cking door!"

And then, after being packaged, and loaded, she spent much of the 20 minute transport asking, in the most perfectly ladylike manner, why I had attacked her in her bathroom?

I don't know for sure, but would be willing to bet if you asked her today she would mention the medics that attacked her in her bathroom for no reason and took her to the hospital...

See what I mean? She would not be lying, but would not have access to the full story, nor be able to put the parts she had in proper context. It's imprtant you make sure that's not what's happening to you before accusing people of being inappropriate.

As Mobey said, if you have questions, you should persue the answers, just do so with all the information possible at hand.

Dwayne

well yes i guess i was pretty disoriented, but i was moving.

i am from ontario.

what bothered me most is i was completely exposed infront of my principal and school nurse.

when i was rolled out i was covered, but only from about my belly button to my ankles.

then in the ambulance the female paramedic, removed my covers and kept me fully naked for the entire ride.

it was kind of humilating. when i got to the emergency room. she covered me up, but i was immediately exposed once i was rolled into the room.

Being from Ontario, it means that they were medics that picked you up. Having been your first seizure, I would wager to say that you had a good post-ictal episode going on. (see Dwayne's post about the girl in the bathroom). In that situation, reality isn't always what it seems. Being carted off in an ambulance, especially from a public place is a very exposing situation in itself. Your description of the ~ahem~ disrobing prior to transport to the ambulance is odd...as in, a little out of protocols. But like we said, call the supervisor at the ambulance service. They will look into it and maybe can ease your concerns. But don't be surprised if things turn out to be not exactly as you remember them. The brain does some really funky things during a seizure, and takes some time to recover...sometimes it's like being drunk or stoned (which I hope, at 17, you have not been). The brain, while in recovery stage, very often alters your perception of reality.

I'm not in any way saying that what you experience was not real...just be prepared in case you get a slightly different story of events from the others involved....

Brat :angel8: