transports in blizzard conditions

EMS828

Last week we had a nasty storm, icy roads, blowing snow and visibility of about 100 ft at times. We were supposed to take a priority 3 patient (psych 8y/o) about 150 miles away, and we had a few other out of town transfers, the state police were telling everyone to stay of the roads unless an absolute emergency. The question is: Should we risk crews, patints and family (if riding) to do a Priority 3 transfer from one hospital to another. But still handle prehospital 911's. Any thoughts.....................

Thanks

EMS828

I agree with no. But........

If you work for a private service and you turn down a call for any reason, in their eyes you may have just turned in your notice. Which they can call at their convenience.

Just something else to think about.

Steve

I agree with no. But........

If you work for a private service and you turn down a call for any reason, in their eyes you may have just turned in your notice. Which they can call at their convenience.

Just something else to think about.

Steve

WRONG --

Theres nothing to consider ----

If you work for a service that will fire you for refusing a call when even the troopers are not out in the weather then you work for a service that really really sucks.

You would have in my opinion grounds for a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Any service that would force you out in a blizzard like that is a service that you shouldn't work for. That is plain dangerous.

How are you going to explain to the family of the patient if something were to happen and you disregarded every warning that was out there.

YOu seriously don't work for a fly by nighter like that do you?

I have refused stable patient hospital to SNF/nursing home patients transfers because of weather conditions before. Generally, it is because a massive storm complete with hail, etc. is blowing through. It will be gone in an hour or two and then the patient can go on to wherever they need to be. It is not worth the risk to your crew or the patient to be transported in very adverse conditions.

The hospital will complain about having the bed still full. In the end, it is what ir right for the patient and the crew.

Class 3 is not an emergency. An 8 y/o old psych does not need to be taken 150 miles away RIGHT NOW. They can wait until weather clears. I would refuse the transport, my self, and my crew are more important than little billy throwing a fit.

I have refused transports in bad weather, I got snide remarks from staff in the ER, but they can bite me. No patients all night, just an elderly female with alzheimers, she could wait until the weather was better.

Remember, YOU come first. If you don't feel safe, don't go. It is no different than entering the scene of a gun shot victim, and the shooter is still there. Would you still go in? I hope not :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.