18 and hired?

Fluffpaw38

Hey. I just passed my EMT-B. I am currently 17 years old. Next year i graduate high school and this year I turn 18. My question is this. I hope to work for American Ambulance the summer i graduate high school. Im worried they wont hire me because of my age and the fact I just graduated high school. I've been volunteering at a fire department sense I was 15, My grades are all Bs and the occasional A. I've been CPR certified for 3 years. I do plan on going for my paramedic after graduation. My resume goes on and on but my question is would a Ambulance company hire someone so young and if so why would they want to? Honestly its just surprising that they would hire someone 18-19 years old. What are my chances? Kind of worried :|

First most services seem to give little or no credit for time as a volly and some say that it actually counts against you. As far as age I would prefer someone older working with me. Yes I know some older people that are not very mature and I also know some young people that are very mature. Getting hired at 18 will depend on the service and also the insurance company.

I wish there was a way for young basics/paramedics to be third team member for a couple of years so they could get experience before being turned loose as a primary member of a team.

First most services seem to give little or no credit for time as a volly and some say that it actually counts against you. As far as age I would prefer someone older working with me. Yes I know some older people that are not very mature and I also know some young people that are very mature. Getting hired at 18 will depend on the service and also the insurance company.

I wish there was a way for young basics/paramedics to be third team member for a couple of years so they could get experience before being turned loose as a primary member of a team.

I was wondering the exact question as well. I'm a year old. A freshman in college, but plan on working this summer after passing my EMT-B. I'm 19 turning 20 in december. Does previous work experience, even though unrelated, make a difference. For example, I've worked in a restaurant for 3 years. I also know there is a high demand for EMT-B in my area, so i guess i'm hoping on that one.

-Marc

Well, Fluff. I did. I ran with the local volunteer serv. for about 10 months while still in High School. A couple of months after I graduated I put my application in at a private serv. On Aug. 2nd they gave me a call and I started on Aug. 5th. I turned 19 on Sept. 20th. But that was almost 25yrs. ago. So it can be done. But it does depend on the demand for EMT's in your area. And with a lot of services and states you can't drive until you are 21. So they might not hire you because they would prefer someone who can not only tech. but drive when needed. They changed the law in IL that you had to be 21 to drive when I was 20. So even though I started out being able to drive I had to stop driving and wait about three months until I turned 21.

You may have to wait until you are 21 before getting hired. If so, just run with a volunteer serv. and work doing some other job. Just have patience. You'll get there. :thumbup:

I was hired a few months shy of my 19th birthday. Truthfully most privates only care if you have a pulse and a license. You may not be able to drive untill you're 21 or 25 depending. I drive could right away due to my company's policy but I think we were the exception rather than the rule as my company self funded their insurance.

I was wondering the exact question as well. I'm a year old.

-Marc

WOW I'd say you should have no problem entering EMS at 18 since you can type and read at only a year old!!

All in good fun!!!! :lol::lol:

I was hired by a private service at 19 and a freshmen in college, so I only work during breaks/vacations. Something that helped me was being a volly for 6 years, yes, I started when I was 13 on the FD. This experience and driving firetrucks for a year and a half prior to hiring helped since most ambulance companies require people to be 21 to drive ambulances in the area. That is somewhere that I ran into trouble but because of experience and driving record Im now one of the preferred drivers on long transports. I was aided because the Chief of my FD knew the Manager of the ambulance service. So knowing people helps, because then you get to prove yourself on the job once you get it.

They would want to hire someone knew because it helps to have not just more seasoned people on departments, because when they go, who is left? Also, new EMT's generally know their stuff, key word generally, which helps to keep the protocols intact. As the saying goes, ALS without BLS is BS.

Good luck, Im sure that if you know your stuff you'll be fine and get hired.

The only 18-year-olds hired by our company seem to be full-time, 4-year, college pre-meds. I think it's because they're more likely to follow the rules and be a bit more mature, since they're generally more self-directed and care about their future. They're not here to be whackers, rather to get patient interaction.

You know one troubling thing that hits my mind is so many here saying I was with a FD at 13, 15, etc. One is NOT responsible enough even to be a volunteer at that age. When faced with issues that are life or death, I believe you shouldn't be involved until at least 18. At that point then, enter as a probationary until 21. The service I work for won't hire anyone under 25. That being said, I entered EMS the day I turned 18, however for a year I was only allowed to ride as a third to get experience. Then I got to graduate to a transfer truck for another year and finally progressed to a BLS 2nd out truck. I was 21 before I was able to run first out 911. Do I think it helped me gain the maturity and stability I needed to gain before being put in an emergency situation? Definitely. Wish more companies would do that, unfortunately with the overabundance of fresh outs and people quitting at a rate to be rivaled, I don't see things changing soon.

You know one troubling thing that hits my mind is so many here saying I was with a FD at 13, 15, etc.

Some districts may have to depend on younger personnel to be adequately staffed, especially volunteer services. There's just not enough more mature individuals available to volunteer or staff a service. I think the youngest I've heard of was 14. But for the most part it's been at least 16. That's been a while back. Now I don't think there are any near me that are under 18.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.