EMT-Advanced

Are you a What level do you work at?  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• EMT-Basic
    • EMT-Advanced
    • Paramedic

Here in Oklahoma, a lot of prople(Paramedics, teachers, co-workers) tell me that they are going to get rid of the advanced catagory and only go with basic and paramedic. Now I'm a new Basic so Im still learning, how ever I have noticed that most places hire only basics and pereamdics. Let me know if other places are doing this and what is your stance on this topic.

Whom told you this? I was at the OSDH Thursday as well as been involved in the development of the new EMS Coalition and have not heard of such.

What has happened is many or majority of the schools are no longer teaching the Intermediate level as an individual course, they are having it included into the EMT to Paramedic curriculum. Some allow testing while in the Paramedic course where others do not promote it at all.

If you want to attend an Intermediate level course alone, there are still a few places teaching them, notify Kay or Eddie @ OSDH and they can inform you of the scheduled courses.

R/r 911

I've been hearing it from several people. I took my classes at Metro Tech, Spring Lake Campus and they said that they are still teaching Intermidiate but they unofficialy recremand on not taking it if you want to go on to Paramedic. However Im still just a fresh EMT-B so for right now Im still tring to get my foot in the door before I try to upgeade my education in EMS.

If you are pursuing going onto Paramedic then I would not waste my time. If you plan on working in outside the metro area, then I would consider there is demand for Intermediates outside OKC area with differential in pay. Inside the metro area, most EVO drivers are basics or Intermediates but usually get paid the same. This would be a personal choice.

I also would look at all programs that teach Paramedic school in OKC as well. Especially those that are accredited by CoAEMSP, CAAHEP (there is only one-OKCC) and that offer degree programs. It may not pay off initially, but in the long run it will. Clinical instructors, sites, and ability to move forward unless you are just considering going into the fire service only.

Good luck,

R/r 911

I do know that there is a possibility that there may be a national movement to do away with the Intermediate/Advanced level of certification. My boss and I were talking the other day, and he mentioned being placed on a committee that's studying this. He's been practicing at this level for a number of years. Here, that's our highest certification level because it's impossible to get anyone to volunteer as a Paramedic.

I would say that if you want to make sure not to lose this level let those in high places know. It's a level that seems to be used most often in the rural areas, and those have a tendency to be under-represented when decisions like this are made.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.