Medic without waiting question.

n7lxi

As much as I argue against specific rules in the path between basic and paramedic. I'm totally against this rushed style of education, we will never progress as a profession if we continue to allow this type of education to be the norm or to even exsist.

Stcommodore- Don't take what I am about to say the wrong way. I have talked to people who have gone through the accredited and long standing accelerated version (like myself) and to those who have done the long (1 1/2 to 2 year) accredited versions, people like yourself seem to accept. My question is, what is the difference between the two? Keeping in mind I am talking about an accredited and long standing/well known accelerated program and not a non-accredited accelerated program. From what I have seen and come to base my opinion on is that the shorter version you don't have the A&P as extensively as the long version, plus the long version, most seem to include the EMT-B in it (that is what I have seen) as part of the curriculum. Both programs do offer the same core material (National Standard Curriculum) a paramedic should know (both knowledge and skill).

Don't get me wrong there are both good and bad programs on both sides. The place where I got my EMT-B does the longer version for the paramedic and they are HORRIBLE. Whereas the program I am going to now (the accelerated through a University Hospital, University of Iowa) is well know for their quality education and turn out of well educated and knowledgeable entry level paramedics.

My opinion is neither for or against the accelerated or non accelerated versions, but the quality of education you get and if you are a competent, individual thinking (not robot line of thinking) entry level paramedic. The public and others in the medical field see how competent you are and base their opinions on that, not on if you went to an accelerated or not program. To be viewed as a profession we need programs that do turn out quality paramedics that have received a great education (which I believe some accelerated and non accelerated) provide.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am just wanting to know why you are against accelerated programs and give you what I have encountered while looking at programs and talking to individuals before choosing a program to go with.

Ames

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread. And now back to your regularly scheduled program......

In my ideal world the paramedic education would be a 2-4 year college based education. You would be taught your A&P, your physology, your disease process right along with medical students and be taught more then what a basic paramedic education requires. After and or along with the standard program of lecture/clinical you would have further education in college english, college math (nursing pharm/math). In addition to that you would have EMS/Fire Managment, grant writing, etc classes that would prepare you for a future when you didn't want to, couldn't work or were needed in an aspect different then working the bus.

Does everyone want a degree? No, in fact most just want a quick education so that they can do more. But the progression of the provider we produce and the progression of the field comes with a more indepth education.

Okay, I see what you mean. But not all accelerated programs are the same. Not only is the program I am in based at a teaching hospital (University of Iowa) but our medical director is the main guy for the ER residents and does the flight service as well as teaches us every Thursday. We have experts in the fields of burns, trauma, pharmacology, etc. that come in to the class to teach us in depth about the field and what we need to know about procedures/knowledge both prehospital but what they expect from prehospital providers in patient care. We are taught pathophysiology, physiology, and A&P (of course not as much as a med. student who has 4+ years). The vast majority of the students are people that have gone to college who have the english and math at the college level (actually, all the people in my class have gone to college and have taken those classes at minimum, 3/4 have a degree in something).

I see where you are coming from, but I don't believe we can generalize all programs. There are quality programs out there the do provide a vast majority of the points you are looking for (minus grant writing, management or the very in depth physiology, pathophysiology, and A&P) and do require the college level math and English or be proficient in both (HOBET testing). Personally, I think it would be great if there were a four year degree that prepared you for not only being a paramedic but also gave you a degree in management with a focus on medical systems (EMS/Fire/Hospital). But right now, we need to support those programs that are quality, while we work to bring the four year program around. Thanks for your input! Like you, I believe we need paramedics out there that are not just in it for a quick education but for the vast amount of knowledge to bring better care to patients in the field. Thanks again for the post.

Ames

i was a teacher of second grade 3 years,,,,warehouse worker for 17 years.....back started hurting...lol...............gave EMS a shot...now 3 years later a paramedic.......kick myself .......way I didn't do it sooner......sometimes are biggest failures in life is when we fail to do anything at all...........John Wooden....................go for it Medfish

i was a teacher of second grade 3 years

Now there's a professional background I'd like to see more of coming into EMS.

i was a teacher of second grade 3 years,,,, Medfish

You're tougher than me. :lol: