Where to work starting out? 911 or IFT's

atomic626

Hey, almost done with class, and the decision is coming up on where to work.

The above two replies are golden, and should be the final word.

As for where to work, do you really have a choice? Most new EMTs do not. A great many areas don't hire EMTs for EMS, or at least not new EMTs. If they do, they suck, but at least that's good for you.

IFTs? That's up to you. Is that what you went to school for? If so, I mean if that's what you think would be a satisfying and rewarding career for you, go for it. Don't let anybody talk you out of it. Somebody's got to do it, and for my grandparents, I want the EMT who actually wants to be there to be the one taking care of them. God bless you. But seriously, that's a pretty rare bird. Ninety-nine percent of those people working IFTs simply have no other option, because they can't get an EMS job, and would leave in a heartbeat for an EMS job paying two dollars an hour less.

Satisfaction is almost wholly dependant upon your employer. Hell, you can do nothing but haul dead bodies to the morgue all day and be happy if your employer treats you well. And conversely, the temporary excitement of EMS will keep you happy for only so long before you get really sick of it if your employer treats or pays you like crap.

There are just too many factors to make this a simple question. The bottom line is, just start your science classes for Paramedic school ASAP. Don't put it off for "work experience" that doesn't really help you. And, if you do work, do what you got in the business to do, or you'll just be unfulfilled.

Good luck.

Just wondering, Shafer in LA or in Orange County?

Yeah, good question. Cuz if that's where you are, save your time and money. There are no jobs for you in that area, unless you want to be a minimum wage ambulance driver, or think you can get hired by a fire department (who gets about 3000 applicants for every job opening). This goes back to my original statement, that you probably don't have a choice of where you can work, so it's not even worth pondering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.