Improvised "Weapons" for EMS Defense

There are many threads on EMT City that discuss self defense or response to violent situations. Other discussions have centered on defensive tactics and a common sense approach to scene safety. All of these discussions are important and many aspects worth consideration by EMS policy makers.

Our goal in EMS is to help, to provide comfort and minimize suffering and to provide safe transport to definitive care. As a paramedic I'm all about accomplishing these things, but more important than anything is my goal to return home safely and in one piece.

What I hope to accomplish with this discussion is to identify items routinely carried on our units and in our jumpbags that can be utilized to disable or if necessary kill an attacker. I'm referring to a "worst case scenario" where it's us against them and we are in a situation where law enforcement is otherwise occupied.

This isn't intended to spawn a Dirty Harry like discussion among those simply desiring to hurt someone but is instead intended to provide useful intelligent information. It's important to remember whatever tactics we use must later be defended.

Clearly, the best defense is avoiding to the greatest possible degree getting into a situation that has a high likelihood of violence or unreasonable risk, but as we all know this isn't always possible to predict.

Now, with all of the disclaimers out of the way let’s discuss how we can use the things commonly carried to escape the worst possible situation in terms of a single or multiple attackers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any item can become an item used to defend yourself. Lets say you are attacked while on standby and your reading an EMS magazine or even a newspaper. As the person approachs you tightly roll then jab with it the adams apple. It can also be used to help keep a little extra distance or to slap weapon out of their hand.

If you are carrying clipboard many ways to use in defense.

I notice a comment you (Spenac) made in another thread about "a sux pen" or something of the sort. I realize nothing like this really exists (ok perhaps it exists at Langley) but not in EMS. This caused me to wonder if it would even be possible to deliver an instantly paralyzing or debilitating IM injection with a combination of the meds carried on an EMS or Critical Care unit?

I've often thought of this. I have a Littmann Master Cardiology. It is a heavy scope. I've wondered if you can hold the ear pieces and use the other end to knock someone the @#$% out!

... if need be of course...

Years ago a friend of mine was fueling his vehicle when confronted by a thug threatening him with a knife. My friend yanked the hose out of the car and gave this idiot a nice soaking with unleaded in the face and chest. Thug fall back and my friend pulls out a lighter and tells this guy if he moves he's going to light him up. Cops arrive and take the smelly looser to jail. There will be no crack (narcotically speaking that is) for him that night. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

I dunno... this discussion just seems doomed to failure.

I mean, we're talking about planning ahead for emergencies, right? Do we really call improvised weapons "planning ahead"? Think about it. When we plan for cardiac emergencies, we deploy AEDs and EMS teams. We don't sit around a discuss the merits of using jumper cables to defibrillate in a pinch. We discuss doing it right from the beginning.

The logic of discussing last ditch measures escapes me when we have yet to implement first line measures. It seems to be a form of denial that just isn't that smart or productive. Kind of like discussing how to outrun a bullet instead of just wearing your vest.

Yeah it didnt really make much sense to me at first but, I resisted common sense and posted it anyway. It's sad how the liberals want us (civilians and public safety folks) to remain helpless sheep headed for the slaughter and then they rush to defend the scumbag criminals! I only wish the crimes would happen to the liberals, of course they would no longer be liberals then would they?

Yeah, true. Look at the cops. They give them guns, but society still raises hell everytime they use it. "Why didn't you just shoot him in the leg?" or "He only had a machete, so it's not fair to shoot him!" :roll:

Yeah, true. Look at the cops. They give them guns, but society still raises hell everytime they use it. "Why didn't you just shoot him in the leg?" or "He only had a machete, so it's not fair to shoot him!" :roll:

Its not just guns anymore, now its tasers too. Every time someone dies from being tasered, it makes front page news. They fail to mention the pre-existing condition of the deceased that lead to the death. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.