New IV catheters

We use the autogard at the NH they are going to the self contained ones that is what the hospitals here use now. After you get the hang of using them they arent that bad just have to get your technique worked out.

the catheters we are using are similar to otherphils as with the safety mechanism on the end of the steel portion. But they don't have all the fancy injection ports

• 3 months later...

I have used the ones itku2er posted the link to. I like them a lot better than the straight angiocaths because there is a lot less mess.. in hospital. I am not sure if they would really be as effective in the back of an ambulance bouncing up and down though. The patient definitely can't be moving to put them in unless you have GREAT IV skills.

I have yet to see the other type posted. I wonder when we will get those out here.

I started doing IV's back in 97 when there were the oldschool no safety ones. I stopped doing them due to working for a BLS agency untill 04. I come back and find the spring loaded ones and the ones that you slide the needle back into the the plastic part you hold. No matter what I did I could not get back into the rythym. Then I went to medic school and started doing my third rides with my old company. They had the ones like otherphil showed without the fancy hub. I picked one up and immediately smiled. They felt just like the old ones. My #'s on 3rd rides were about 97% success. I have since figured out the other styles but I was on a bad run in the beginning. I will have to find a pic to show.

As for the ones the OP posted about. I really hope they find a different bloodless system that thing looks about as long as a knitting needle for a 1 3/4" cath.

*ETA* I found them. they are called introcan's. Shock of all shocks :) also made by Braun. Here is the pic

[web:619793fb2c]http://www.mtrhealth.com/ImageViewer.aspx?img=~/public/images/425-2543.jpg&w=150[/web:619793fb2c]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.