Why are we worth less than CNA's?

Eydawn

I've been trying to find a new job recently, and I've really been looking at the hospital setting. See, the thing is, almost every ED tech or patient care tech position I've looked at has either had CNA licensure required or highly preferred.

I don't get it! Someone help me out here. CNA's don't get more in depth medical training than we do... if anything, it's equivalent or less. The physical skill difference is pretty minimal... you have to know how to use a gait belt, Hoyer lift, personal hygiene care for your clients/patients, how to feed people etc.

So my question is, why does a CNA rate and I don't? I have care experience and skill proficiency in the areas that a CNA does, and yet, because the letters after my name spell EMT-B, I can't apply for many of these jobs.

It's so frustrating it's not even funny.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always asked that myself. Also, taking RN's out to become MICN's, sort of like you having to train them so they can give orders to you. :roll:

NUA 101 CERTIFIED NURSE AIDE HEALTH CARE SKILLS (4)

Prepares the student to perform the fundamental skills of the nurse aide. Basic nursing skills, restorative services, personal care skills; safety and emergency care issues are

covered in theory and lab. The student will learn skills that address the mental health needs as well as patient/resident/client rights.

Corequisite: NUA 170. 68 Contact Hours

NUA 170 NURSE ASSISTANT CLINICAL EXPERIENCE (1)

Applies knowledge gained from NUA 101 in a clinical setting. 23 Contact Hours. Prerequisite: NUA 101 and Immunizations to meet current O.S.H.A. guidelines; (current TB test) Corequisite: NUA 101

FRCC Course Catalog

That's all a CNA course is here. It's a 1 semester deal with a clinical experience tacked onto it. My mom took the course... so I got a chance to learn all about it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy that is all too familiar, but on the same note it doesn't shock me in the least because that is how it is here. But I can venture a guess that it's the same everywhere.

They are in such dire need in the ED at my local hospitals, they will hire damn near anyone that walks into that door. But yet EMTs and paramedics have the roughest time getting hired there. Its a wonder that the patients aren't walking around starting IVs on each other :lol: But yet a CNA could walk in the door over there and would be hired in a heartbeat. Does not make a whole lot of sense, but it happens. Which brings me to another subject...

Scary to think the qualifications to become an EMT and to work at Walmart are the same....pulse and breathing. But all that is yet another topic that Dustdevil just recently touched base with :D

As to not hijack this thread, I can relate to what your talking about though Wendy. It is a shame. I wish you luck on your endeavors. Finding a decent job is tough.

The skillset for each is worlds apart. Neither is rocket surgery. But just because you have 120 hours of training in one discipline doesn't mean you have a clue about what they get in 120 hours of the other discipline. They're not better trained (theoretically speaking). They're just differently trained. If you assert that, then you're asserting that CNAs are just as good as EMTs on an ambulance. Both jobs have professional standards, as do licensed healthcare facilities. You can't be surprised that they try to stick to them. It's apples and oranges. Yes, I know that you personally have more experience and insight into nurse assisting, but most do not.

I'm asking why they want CNA's in the ED, or want their EMT B's to also have CNA licensure. That's the part that I don't get.

Really.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

CNA is a certification with a few more hours than EMT with a very different focus as Dustdevil stated. CNAs must be trained extensively in infection control and long term prevention of skin integrity breakdown/recognition. Proper ambulation techniques, fall prevention and personal hygiene are some things that an EMT is not trained to do. They must also be trained with communication skills/special needs for long term care of pts with dementia and alzheimer's. That in itself is not an easy task everyday and all day. CNAs that work in long term facilities must also be well versed on the rights of "residents". The same for hospitals. CNAs are often used for suicide watches. For an 8 or 12 hour shift, this bears some serious responsibility especially when it comes to restraints and allowing pt to still have personal hygiene time. In many places they are very well trained in CPR and get the party started while the licensed personnel are arriving or setting up.

In some states the CNA certification allows them to advance to Medication Aide or Pt Care Tech which can be 700 hours easily. This gives people a good idea if they want to go on to be an RN and accepting more patient care responsibility. In other words, they know what the patient care thing is all about before signing up for a long term education commitment.

States recognized the need for the CNA specialty within facilities with many states initiating certification over 30 years ago.

EDIT: Yes, an EMT-B should be trained and Certified as a CNA since you are no longer prehospital and must be trained to the requirements of a job within a facility. CNAs that work EDs may have similar if not more experience/training in some things than an EMT-B but would still be required to have EMT-B training and certification to work prehospital. Hospital trained ER technicians with many skills definitely may fall into that category but still need an EMT-B cert to work on an ambulance.

Yeah, what she said.

All of a CNAs training is relevant to hospital practice. Conversely, about one tenth of the hours of an EMT-Bs training is relevant to hospital practice. So, when you apply for a facility job, you're bringing about ten to twelve hours of relevant training to the table. There isn't a lot of call for vehicle extrication, bandaging and splinting, or rapid trauma assessments by a tech in the ER. All they need from you is automated vitals, occasional CPR, housekeeping, and courier services. The rest is just assisting the nurses, thus the NURSING ASSISTANT requirement. I understand your disappointment, but I don't see what is complicated about this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.