Stressing Out!

AMESEMT

The Paramedic program I was in was 7 months, and that was considered a very accelerated class back then. A little over 20 yrs. ago. :roll: For some reason only those of us that seemed more proficient were selected and pushed through quicker.

So a four month class seems to be really pushing it. But more power to ya. Hope it works out well.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the original poster, I found that A&P was not too bad, but patho seems to be a lot of material. I found that taking a few big pieces of bristol board and a few sharpies and drawing how everything works together helped me to see the links, and made the material easier to understand. Also, don't just memorize the material, learn it and be able to work from the ground up when given a patient presentation in your labs or theory classes.

Well, I have been passing all the quizes and exams with the A&P on it. We started EKGs this week, and the A&P stuff is definately helpful (like the CNS and ANS) for the effects of drugs and why they work and how they work on the body. Rather interesting. Oh, we also started IV's this week and I got my first two stick on a person (only had to stick them once, they were successful!). That was fun. Thanks everyone for the advice and words of encouragement! Like always, I will keep everyone updated and if I have questions I know where to turn! (Especially for EKGs)!

Ames

OK I am not familiar with US education at all....So I probably sound really dumb.

But is this entire course 8 months long, including practicum??

If so is this an EMT-P program?

Also...What is the highest level of prehospital provider in the US, and how long is that course?

In the United States we have four levels that are recognized by our National Registry. NR recognizes NR First Responder, NR EMT-Basic, NR EMT-Intermediate (both I-85 and I-99 courses), and NR EMT-Paramedic. Now this seems simple; however, NR is not recognized by every state in the US and does not have to be as NR is not a true certification. From that statement each state can have their own levels of what is recognized and terminology is different everywhere. I live in Arkansas and we only have EMT-Ambulance, EMT-I, EMT-P. In AR you can be state registered and not NR and still work. I work in Oklahoma and in OK we have NR-FR (Yes in OK a NR-FR can work on an ambulance), NREMT-B, NREMT-I, NREMT-P and you are required to maintain registry. My EMT-P program was in Arkansas and ran from Jan 05 until we graduated July 7, 06 of the next year. We were required to be EMT-B before you could even start pre-reqs (which they have since changed but I won't get on that soapbox). We went spring, fall, summer I, fall, spring, summer I. During our last semester after the entire class had completed all of our didatic, clinical, and EMS internship time, we went to Memphis, TN and rode three days with MFD medics (DAMN!! What a town that is). This is the newest curriculum they have there http://atuoc.atu.edu/EMTCurrWeb.pdf. I was among some of the first few to earn the new AAS (before the circ. listed was set in stone) but it is absolutely worthless since its just an AAS.

hey how can i deal with the stress in emt class and on the road in the ambulance???? i'm getting soooo mad and its just over nothing!!!! so what should i do??? :x

WTF???? :dontknow:

hey how can i deal with the stress in emt class and on the road in the ambulance???? i'm getting soooo mad and its just over nothing!!!! so what should i do??? :x

I really don't know how else to say it, but, just do it. Just deal with it. If it's to the point that it's going to effect your health or your performance in the field then you may need to look into something else. But keep with it for now. How long have you been in training? Perhaps it'll get better with more experience. EMS isn't for everybody. There is a lot of pressure and stress. Hopefully things will work out. I think you can get over it. Just stay strong.