First responders L&S on POV insurance requirements

spenac

Have you informed your insurance if you respond POV?  

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I will never wreck so not going to tell them

I have red lights on my vehicle. No my insurance doesn't know. My lights are registered with the State Police and we cannot use them while responding to the scene, they are strictly for marking my vehicle while at the scene. In our SOP's it states that we must respond to the station and then take a unit to the scene, unless the scene is directly on your way to the station. However a handful of us have training with the local and State Police and work with them when called to handle traffic control, and thats the reason for the lights.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However a handful of us have training with the local and State Police and work with them when called to handle traffic control, and thats the reason for the lights.

So..... Your an emt and use your car to do police work? How is traffic control even EMS's problem?

So..... Your an emt and use your car to do police work? How is traffic control even EMS's problem?

Through the volunteer fire department we work with the police to do scene control at car wrecks and fire scenes. Unless I'm at the station, I don't live close enough to the station to make the ambo from my house. I've made the ambo from home only a few times, so by going directly to the scene and helping out with traffic control, I can still be of assistance.

We're called Fire Police. Its mainly an East Coast thing. PA, MD, and NJ maybe?

If he's willing to volunteer with one emergency service, why not help out another (provided such assistance is welcomed)?

I can't say that we can afford it full time. We are not funded by the town, have no income other than billing insurances, and at times we go for a week or two with out any calls what so ever. So for the time being I will go on saying that it can't be done where I work.

Why is the town not providing this service? Who provides it? I mean who decided it was YOUR group of people to provide EMS?

Police won't do traffic control here; if the DOT isn't on hand; either fire or EMS has to do it. I personally don't care who it is, so long as I don't get run over. Some places have 'fire police', however, my station doesn't have any. Usually, the least helpful fire person is assigned to this task.

Why is the town not providing this service? Who provides it? I mean who decided it was YOUR group of people to provide EMS?

The squad was established sometime in the 1960's when people saw a need for it. I've only lived in the area for about 10 years and couldn't tell you why the town didn't see the need. They do fund the fire department though. All of the squads in the county that I reside in are funded on their own, none are town run. If they were town run there wouldn't be an issue with staffing 24/7.

The squad was established sometime in the 1960's when people saw a need for it. I've only lived in the area for about 10 years and couldn't tell you why the town didn't see the need. They do fund the fire department though. All of the squads in the county that I reside in are funded on their own, none are town run. If they were town run there wouldn't be an issue with staffing 24/7.

So there IS a way to get paid staff then.... all it takes is people stopping doing my profession as a hobby.

So there IS a way to get paid staff then.... all it takes is people stopping doing my profession as a hobby.

Stop volunteering and its amazing how fast the finances are found..Someone has to start it though...someone with a plan..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.