NCTI AMR EMT-P Program

How does what someone else wears in a classroom affect how you work with them? I can see the necessity for uniforms during clinicals, but if you (generic "you" now, not Dirty Black Socks) can't dress appropriately (personally, it takes effort to dress inappropriately for a classroom in my mind) with the guidance, at most, of a dress code, than you probably aren't qualified for much more than asking "Would you like fries with that?"

Edit:

Just to clarify for people not from California. The "EMT-I" mentioned on the website is "EMT-1," better known as EMT-Basic. It is not EMT-Intermediate.

You'll have to forgive me if my reasoning seems a bit off because I'm on percocet right now for my hand.

If everyone had a mature mind set and dedicated grasp as to what they're doing to do with their lives then I suppose dressing however you'd like in a class wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately a lot of people going through an EMT-B course at a Community College are going to be young and by association somewhat lacking in terms of maturity.

That's not to say everyone who's young is immature and I hope I'm not coming off like some one who thinks his age dictates his wisdom.

But for example, while to me shining my boots and wearing a uniform to school/work every day is a non-issue as it's something I did in the military for a long period of time. It might help the guy who's never been away from home and hasn't had much independence in their life gain some of that maturity and self confidence needed to work in a field like this.

While it's not going to have some huge behavioral alterations to a person. Having that uniformity helps establish common ground amoung the class and give that mind set that everyone there is your peer. As well as giving that extra responsibility.

It also takes the guess work out for instructors, eliminating the temptation less mature minds might have to dress in a way that might be disruptive.

I guess my problem with uniforms is that I will almost always fail to see how a uniform enhances an educational experience. I can understand uniforms in a military or paramilitary environment where a strict chain of command is necessary for numerous reasons, but I do not believe that EMS should be paramilitary in style.

I will admit that my exposure to different post secondary educational institutes is limited. I've only taken one course (EMT-B refresher) at a community college and the only two problems (apathy from the students, stupidity from the instructor) could not be fixed by uniforms. Similarly, at my undergraduate (University of California, Irvine), the one wardrobe problem that I can remember was a streaker in O-Chem. Again, uniforms would not have fixed that.

To me, uniforms only signify an unwarranted expense and an attempt to further the hero culture ("see, my epaulets are this color because I'm in a paramedic program"). I don't buy the respect issue that is thrown around from time to time either. After all, all those PhDs must hate all the disrespect from teaching a 300+ person lecture hall full of kids wearing blue jeans and t-shirts.

I guess my problem with uniforms is that I will almost always fail to see how a uniform enhances an educational experience. I can understand uniforms in a military or paramilitary environment where a strict chain of command is necessary for numerous reasons, but I do not believe that EMS should be paramilitary in style.

I will admit that my exposure to different post secondary educational institutes is limited. I've only taken one course (EMT-B refresher) at a community college and the only two problems (apathy from the students, stupidity from the instructor) could not be fixed by uniforms. Similarly, at my undergraduate (University of California, Irvine), the one wardrobe problem that I can remember was a streaker in O-Chem. Again, uniforms would not have fixed that.

To me, uniforms only signify an unwarranted expense and an attempt to further the hero culture ("see, my epaulets are this color because I'm in a paramedic program"). I don't buy the respect issue that is thrown around from time to time either. After all, all those PhDs must hate all the disrespect from teaching a 300+ person lecture hall full of kids wearing blue jeans and t-shirts.

I understand where you're coming from. Uniforms aren't very comfortable, either. Just giving my point of view on how they can be beneficial. Not everyone thinks with the maturity that you do about how things should be.

Team work is very important in this field of work.

I just got off the phone with Heidi Coon to confirm as well, there are courses held in Riverside.

It's somewhat confusing as on the page it lists it as an Entrance Exam. So I could see where you got mixed up.

Yeah, I too just got done speaking with somebody familiar with the programme, and he confirms this information. All my searching of the site did not turn that up. Having a confusing arse site is reason enough to be sceptical of the programme, lol.

Anyhow, I am told that the programme seems to be about average, as judged by the quality of it's students and graduates. Nothing outstanding or particularly bad about it, either way. The hours are in-line with the average, better than a lot, and not as good as some. Of course, the association with AMR can be a benefit to you when you go job hunting afterwards, no doubt about that.

Note that this particular programme is NOT nationally accredited, unlike several other NCTI locations. That should concern you to a good extent. Find out if they have applied for accreditation. It's a long process, so it's possible they are simply pending an evaluation. But if they seem unconcerned about accreditation, run.

Also, this is not a degree programme. That doesn't seem to mean anything in Kalifornia EMS, where the real mark of professional excellence is a fire certification in most people's eyes. However, it means a lot nationwide. And it means a lot to your personal professional development.

Sounds like you are on the right path anyhow, by taking the prerequisites on your own that they do not require. So long as you do that, your education can be every bit as complete as a degree programme. It is great that you recognise that it is very important to take these things BEFORE paramedic school in order to gain the most benefit from them. Taking them after the fact is not nearly as good. The idea is to acquire knowledge in a logical and linear manner that facilitates optimum development. Any school that tells you it's just as good to go back and take A&P and Microbiology and psychology and sociology and algebra and communications after paramedic school is obviously totally clueless when it comes to educational theory, so beware.

Definitely take all those courses and more. If you go to NCTI, I would suggest that you take those classes at a college that offers a paramedic degree, so that when you complete paramedic, you can go apply for the degree there. Most colleges will do that, even if you didn't take paramedic there, so long as you complete a minimum number of semester hours at their institution. Given your location and situation, that sounds like the best way to go.

As for the uniform thing, it is taken to extremes by RCC. If they spent as much time on medical education as they spend uniform inspections, parade formations, calesthenics, and grab-assing, they'd have a top notch programme. Instead, they have a mediocre training school for wannabe firemonkeys. Professionalism, like life itself, is dependant upon balance. RCC doesn't seem to have a clue about this, nor do they care. Their goal is to blow smoke up their students' arses and prepare them for life as a minimally qualified public servant, not prepare them for professional medical practice. I have to admit, at that they succeed. But hell, they don't even do that right. Look at the pictures. The students look like total slobs, even in their Class As. If you're going to cater to that paramilitary nonsense, at least have instructors who know how to do it. Obviously, none of their faculty has any true military experience. Total waste of time, just to make the students "feel" like they are a part of the public safety team.

Best of luck, my fellow veteran.

Yeah, I too just got done speaking with somebody familiar with the programme, and he confirms this information. All my searching of the site did not turn that up. Having a confusing arse site is reason enough to be sceptical of the programme, lol.

Anyhow, I am told that the programme seems to be about average, as judged by the quality of it's students and graduates. Nothing outstanding or particularly bad about it, either way. The hours are in-line with the average, better than a lot, and not as good as some. Of course, the association with AMR can be a benefit to you when you go job hunting afterwards, no doubt about that.

Note that this particular programme is NOT nationally accredited, unlike several other NCTI locations. That should concern you to a good extent. Find out if they have applied for accreditation. It's a long process, so it's possible they are simply pending an evaluation. But if they seem unconcerned about accreditation, run.

Also, this is not a degree programme. That doesn't seem to mean anything in Kalifornia EMS, where the real mark of professional excellence is a fire certification in most people's eyes. However, it means a lot nationwide. And it means a lot to your personal professional development.

Sounds like you are on the right path anyhow, by taking the prerequisites on your own that they do not require. So long as you do that, your education can be every bit as complete as a degree programme. It is great that you recognise that it is very important to take these things BEFORE paramedic school in order to gain the most benefit from them. Taking them after the fact is not nearly as good. The idea is to acquire knowledge in a logical and linear manner that facilitates optimum development. Any school that tells you it's just as good to go back and take A&P and Microbiology and psychology and sociology and algebra and communications after paramedic school is obviously totally clueless when it comes to educational theory, so beware.

Definitely take all those courses and more. If you go to NCTI, I would suggest that you take those classes at a college that offers a paramedic degree, so that when you complete paramedic, you can go apply for the degree there. Most colleges will do that, even if you didn't take paramedic there, so long as you complete a minimum number of semester hours at their institution. Given your location and situation, that sounds like the best way to go.

As for the uniform thing, it is taken to extremes by RCC. If they spent as much time on medical education as they spend uniform inspections, parade formations, calesthenics, and grab-assing, they'd have a top notch programme. Instead, they have a mediocre training school for wannabe firemonkeys. Professionalism, like life itself, is dependant upon balance. RCC doesn't seem to have a clue about this, nor do they care. Their goal is to blow smoke up their students' arses and prepare them for life as a minimally qualified public servant, not prepare them for professional medical practice. I have to admit, at that they succeed. But hell, they don't even do that right. Look at the pictures. The students look like total slobs, even in their Class As. If you're going to cater to that paramilitary nonsense, at least have instructors who know how to do it. Obviously, none of their faculty has any true military experience. Total waste of time, just to make the students "feel" like they are a part of the public safety team.

Best of luck, my fellow veteran.

Well, RCC offers a paramedic program and that's the institute which I'll be getting my general education at so hopefully completing the NCTI course will allow me to carry over to them for my AS degree. Guess I'll have to get with a counselor when I get time and see what their opinions on it are.

If you've got any other local courses outside of RCC and NCTI you'd recommend I'm open to them. I'm under Vocational Rehabilitation, so the government's paying for my schooling.

Let me know if you find anything else local to this area for Paramedic Certification. Much appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.