NCTI AMR EMT-P Program

Not sure how many of you are familiar with this specific institution and it's training, but for those that are I'd appreciate any feedback on how well they operate and the quality of the course/instructor's.

Most of the credible courses I can find out here (Southern California, Riverside County) have a 6 month to 1 year EMT-B experience requirement before training for EMT-P.

Unfortunately my experience in the military makes it hard to verify that I was putting my EMT-B to use for the duration of my service (although it's common sense) and letters stating such are very hard if not impossible to get.

If anyone has other recommendations for courses I could look into out here I'd appreciate it.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I dunno about the programme you are talking about, but getting around the stupid EMT-B experience requirement is a positive thing. Whatever experience you got there is a lot more relevant than what the average EMT-B is getting running transfers. Have you exhausted all efforts to get a letter out of the military verifying your experience? With a little ingenuity and/or effort, it really shouldn't be that hard, if you think about it. Even in a pinch, there's a National Guard armoury on every street corner who could probably be talked into writing a letter of verification. That's what I'd do, if it's a real hold-up for you.

That said, Riverside College's programme sucks, so put some serious research and thought into choosing a QUALITY programme. The longer, the better, generally speaking. Good luck!

I suppose I could harass the National Guard for a while about it and I'm sure getting the letter will happen sooner or later, it's just a matter of time constraints. I've already been prohibited from training or working for close to a year now, which is enough to drive a man insane.

Once you're out of the military getting anything out of them takes forever and a day.

The NCTI's EMT-P program was actually recommended to me by my County EMS Office when I was inquiring about local certification fee's and procedures.

I'm under Vocational Rehabilitation, which means the government pays for up to 2 years of full time college/training including paying my living expenses. Provided I can put all of the training to work and support myself after that 2 years is up. So I'm in a unique position to take advantage of pretty much any training I'd like.

This particular course runs around 12 grand when all is said and done and takes around 13 months to complete.

If you've got the time I'd appreciate you having a look at it and giving me your opinion here:

http://www.ncti-online.com/westcoastregion/about_ncti.shtml

If you've got other recommendations in the Riverside/San Bernardino County area I'm all ears.

Currently I'm going to be taking:

Anatomy and Physiology

Specialized Psychology

Medical Terminology

Math

Spanish

For a semester while I work out issue's that are preventing me from enlisting in the EMT-P course (I need to get county certified, immunization charts taken care of ect.). All of the courses are being taken with the intentions of them making me a more proficient Paramedic in the long run.

This is definitely what I plan on doing with the rest of my life, though. ALS and field work are one of the few things I've found that I'm very good at and passionate about. So I'd like to make sure I get the best training I possibly can.

Thanks.

Just wondering, have you tried simply explaining your situation and asking for a wavier?

That said, Riverside College's programme sucks, so put some serious research and thought into choosing a QUALITY programme. The longer, the better, generally speaking. Good luck!

But RCC has one hell of a marching band and winter indoor percussion ensemble.

^^^

I've tried with RCC but to be honest their lack of communication and the manner in which one of the head instructors taught a CPR course I took with them has turned me off from wanting to invest my time there.

Basically I was told "I don't know" by the lead instructor and told to contact the Department head, who has not returned multiple phone calls. After a month of trying to get in touch with him I found out I was referred to one of the training assistants who didn't know the answer either.

One giant run around with no results and I've been pretty adimant about getting an answer without trying to be overly rude.

I too am currently in the process of trying to speak with the RCC department head. I may have to do a surprise visit soon to see for myself. I'd like to be fair in my assessment of them, but that takes two-way communications. I'll keep you posted.

As for the NCIT thing, just how far are you willing to drive or relocate? That is nowhere near Riverside county. It's darn near Oregon! Heck, if you're that willing to move, I'd get the heck out of Kalifornia and get a real quality education somewhere else! :)

I don't know anything about that programme, except that it is CAAHEP Nationally Accredited, which is a rare and good thing. The contact hours look about right. It is also a degree granting programme, and you should settle for nothing less.

Erm, there are courses held in Riverside. It's a nation wide training program, supposedly the largest EMT-P program in the U.S.

Small classes, too. The Riverside course only accepts 30 students per session. Which I like.

It's also a sister company of AMR, somewhere on there it mentions that AMR looks favorably towards a degree through this program over others.

Seems like a good course to me, anyway. I've just gotten the Riverside instructor's contact information so I'm going to try and set up a time to talk to him about the course. I get a lot more of an impression based around the instructor's then I do reading over what the course consists of, if that makes sense.

Erm, there are courses held in Riverside. It's a nation wide training program, supposedly the largest EMT-P program in the U.S.

One of us is confused then. It was my understanding that they only do EMT-B classes in Riverside. Look closely at the NCIT website, and notice that not all the listed sites do EMT-P level classes, only a few, and the only one in Kalifornia is up in Syskiyous. I could be reading wrong though.

I've just gotten the Riverside instructor's contact information so I'm going to try and set up a time to talk to him about the course. I get a lot more of an impression based around the instructor's then I do reading over what the course consists of, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I'd like to hear from the director. But just from what I hear from former students, the nutty videos posted here, and reading their own website, it's not that impressive. Apparently they aren't familiar with the concept of spell check there, which is disappointing in an academic institution supposedly run by somebody with a doctoral in education. And look at the uniform requirement for that programme. Almost $600 bucks for a "class A" uniform so they can play dress up like their heroes, the firemonkeys. What a total waste of time, money, and resources. It's just my observation that that school has their priorities all farked up.

https://ncti-national.securegw.com/cgi-bin/...nfo.cgi?info=43

I just got off the phone with Heidi Coon to confirm as well, there are courses held in Riverside.

It's somewhat confusing as on the page it lists it as an Entrance Exam. So I could see where you got mixed up.

Edit:

In terms of the uniform fees and everything else. I personally think it's productive to have everyone conform to the same outfits ect. to help build the team work setting that's important in this field of work. Although $600 does seem a bit steep, that's more then half the fee for the EMT-B course they offer.

I was more disheartened in other aspects of how RCC has conducted themselves in my eyes. Mr. Fontaine, who is the head instructor, seems like a fairly intelligent guy but he taught my AHA CPR course last month. He blew through the entire thing and missed a lot of key elements important to it then passed everyone in groups rather then individually.

During our skills testing portion he was grading written rather then watching what we did ect. I understand that it's just CPR and even a monkey could do it. But if I'm getting all of my training for free I'd like to go with the most professional course I can possibly find.

I've spoken with Dr. Nollette once months ago when I was first looking into taking the EMT-B Winter Intercession as a refresher course and he told me I'd be allowed to skip all of the skills work since I'm already EMT-B certified.

When I relayed that information to Mr. Fontaine he seemed like he didn't want some one with EMT-B experience in his course and blew me off to the Riverside EMS Office telling me I needed to take a challenge course.

It all just seemed a little strange, didn't sit right with me. That course seems like it might be better suited to guys looking to go into Fire Fighting or PA students who just need to get the EMT-B out of the way to continue their schooling.

In terms of the uniform fees and everything else. I personally think it's productive to have everyone conform to the same outfits ect. to help build the team work setting that's important in this field of work.

How does what someone else wears in a classroom affect how you work with them? I can see the necessity for uniforms during clinicals, but if you (generic "you" now, not Dirty Black Socks) can't dress appropriately (personally, it takes effort to dress inappropriately for a classroom in my mind) with the guidance, at most, of a dress code, than you probably aren't qualified for much more than asking "Would you like fries with that?"

Edit:

Just to clarify for people not from California. The "EMT-I" mentioned on the website is "EMT-1," better known as EMT-Basic. It is not EMT-Intermediate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.