Uncertified people on the ambulance.

emedic6

Full-time: We have had a history of non-licensed"help," for lack of a better word, usually they were preparing for our EMT school. Due to a large number of licensed personnel we've taken on this year, non-licensed people are no longer guaranteed a shift.

POC: A small number of non-licensed drivers. All must have CPR, driver training, and department orientation. Usually they are members of the fire department looking for a little extra cash but don't want to go to EMT school just yet. Fine with me, I'm there for patient care, not driving. The only time I don't like it is when I ONLY have a driver and myself. By DOH rules, apparently that means I have to run the call as BLS until I can get clearance from med control to ALS it or an EMT shows up (I've found there's some wiggle room with that though). If I have a driver and another EMT of some level, I'm ok with that.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please dont get the idea that I am opposed to new people riding along, we encouraged local first reponders to schedule ride alongs with our agency to build relationships and give them much needed patient care experience. We have permitted high school health occupations students to ride along also, but thse kids all have been immunized against Hepatitis B and have a rudimentary understanding of infecton control and patient privacy. We added what amounted to a contract that the riders, and if they aere under 18, their parents had to sign. This document was not only a waiver of liability but also was a contract that held them and the parents responsible for breaches of patient confidentiality committed by the student.

I refused to allow anyone that was simply "interested in an EMS career" to ride along. This was based on aforementioned risk to the individual, agency, patients and taxpayers. There is simply no good reason to allow this activity.

We dare not discourage those considering EMS as a career (God love them!) but we have an immense responsibility to our patients, staff members and the community to minimize risk to its lowest possible level.

I think that it is an ok idea if the person ridding has had some type of training in the medical field. I personally do ride along time but i do it through my trade school...I have had to sign papers dealing with patient confidentiality and have had first responders training. I have also hade my immunizations and have been trained on infection control. I personally do not think allowing someone who just wants to see what is being done in the back of a truck should be allowed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.