Uncertified people on the ambulance.

emedic6

Trying to stir the pot a bit here.

Do you (people against all non-student/non-certified riders) also disagree with programs such as Discovery Channel's Paramedic series?

What real 'value' does that program have? Is it a training aid for the new EMTs or Paramedics? No, it's nothing more than sensationalizing photodocumentary/drama for attracting viewers. If it's that 'important' to show what we do, then stage the whole thing, its simply amazing the 'injuries' that can be replicated with a simple moulage kit!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's entertainment..

Hollywood and the media seem to believe that seeing this type of entertainment has a very stong value to the American couch potato.

What better way to feed that interest, than to see the victims in a dangerous environment? Being removed from a $50,000 tin can, picked up off the floor of a restroom tripped out on drugs, or being dragged out of a pool of blood on the sidewalk.

However, it seems that they'd rather see the end result of all that, by the number of programs that are based on it. (Trauma Life in the ER, Code Blue, Critical Hour, etc)

Those shows do allow us to have something else to talk about too! :twisted:

Why is it that the original poster to this topic has not responded to what their intent was? Now this whole topic has rambled on to something else all together!

Those shows do allow us to have something else to talk about too! :twisted:

Why is it that the original poster to this topic has not responded to what their intent was? Now this whole topic has rambled on to something else all together!

The Op has reached what was his goal as has another that posted on this thread, know what I mean I hope as I'm not allowed to say it. At least it led those that really care having a decent discussion.

As to discovery Paramedics are they ever going to put out new episodes?

this thread went completely off topic :roll: but then again it would be better on topic if the OP would come back and elaborate on what they mean by not wanting "uncertified" people on the ambulance. Does this mean EMT students, does this mean nursing students? ya'll see where I am going. What sucks is by the time I finished writing that "novel" 2 hours has passed between checking for spelling, grammar and if it even made sense. lol

this thread went completely off topic :roll: but then again it would be better on topic if the OP would come back and elaborate on what they mean by not wanting "uncertified" people on the ambulance. Does this mean EMT students, does this mean nursing students? ya'll see where I am going. What sucks is by the time I finished writing that "novel" 2 hours has passed between checking for spelling, grammar and if it even made sense. lol

Just perhaps OP and princess will stop by chat one day and you can ask them to return and discuss on the forum more of their views.

Just perhaps OP and princess will stop by chat one day and you can ask them to return and discuss on the forum more of their views.

They better stop by, those are the 2 people I'm after the most lol! I spilled my heart out and they cant even come back to discuss! lol

At my volunteer department we do have what we call observers ride. They all are at least CPR qualified, members of the department and are waiting for EMT class. They also are given information and training and are tested before they can ride. They mostly serve as a gofer. (Go get me the LSB, bring another O2 bottle, etc). We make sure they know where everything is on the ambulance so they can keep the EMT from having to leave the patient to get items.

Sarge

As to discovery Paramedics are they ever going to put out new episodes?

When they started replaying episodes from 2001, I emailed TLC/DSC Health. I received your basic, generic reply, and from what I put together, negative on new episodes.

I've seen other discussions that sited professionalism, the all evil HIPAA and other misc. excuses. I haven't even seen it on in reruns, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the show is dead.

At my volunteer department we do have what we call observers ride. They all are at least CPR qualified, members of the department and are waiting for EMT class. They also are given information and training and are tested before they can ride. They mostly serve as a gofer. (Go get me the LSB, bring another O2 bottle, etc). We make sure they know where everything is on the ambulance so they can keep the EMT from having to leave the patient to get items.

Sarge

So, only being CPR certified qualifies you to be on an ambulance? Or is the 'go-fer' status that qualifies them?

Either way, in EMS, the higher license is held accountable for the screw ups of the lower licensure/certifications.

This explains why there is a Med Control Doctor, we are ultimately working under his license (even though we have our own licenses as well).

On a Medic/Basic truck, the Medic will ultimately be the one with the feet held to the fire if the Basic does something wrong. Remember the phrase "Respondeat superior"!

It's a Latin phrase that means let the superior speak. In this case, the Medic (superior) will be acting through the Basic (inferior). Any action that the Basic performs that is either detrimental to the patient, violates scope of practice, or violates the local or state protocols will be deemed to have been committed by the superior license level. This 'vicarious action' can and in most cases WILL travel up the food chain to the Medical Director, who will ultimately have to accept the responsibility for those actions and the consequences that are attached.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.