chicken soup

emedic6

well we do have a chicken soup for the dog lover so why not a chicken soup for the EMS lover.

But I think it's not a great idea or someone would have already written it.

Well there is a first time for everything! This topic is somewhat Ironic. When I was doing some Christmas shopping on uh *coughs* Christmas Eve, I went to Barnes and Noble and was looking at the chicken soup series. I thought to myself how neat it would be to have chicken soup for the EMS soul :) I mean why not? they have Chicken Soup for the nurses soul, dog lovers soul, teenager etc....So I'm glad someone made a post like this, it feels great to know that I have people just as much crazy as I am :)

Chicken Soup - a series that kinda makes me feel like I need a shower, mostly because it is clearly just a make-money project. Sure it would be cool to be included in this, if only to have the feeling that anybody out there thinks we are important enough to do make some money off of, but truthfully, we do that best ourselves.

There are some posts in here that could be compiled to have the same effect, but I would love to see this thread turn into one where positive, feel-good things get written. The only problem would be the tendency we have to let our innate negativity and black sense of humour take over.

Anybody got some mushy and soul-inspiring stories to tell?

OH WHY NOT FOLKS?

SHALL I START?

Dispatching has its good and bad day's. You get your bad call's and your good call's. A recent rewarding call came from a man, a county worker who told me he was sitting on the side of the road in rural America. He thought his pace maker was mis fireing and his friends was going to drive him to the hospital that was 45 minutes away. Why he called me initially I don't know but while he was talking, a large surge of static over took the phone line and my caller commenced to cussing up a storm. OUCH! He was still on the phone and his pace maker just fired again! Thats twice now! " OH but I am ok, I'm ok my friend will drive me 45 minutes to the HOSPITAL!

Ok time to kick the EMD skills into high gear. Pace maker- fired twice- he is sitting in his county work truck on the side of the road waiting for help to arrive so he can go POV 45 minutes to the closest hospital??

I THINK NOT!! Ok first - Sir I would like for you to try sitting down in your truck for me- (if he passes out then I have a patient +loc laying on the side of the road......) Secound- grab a second phone and call the county sherrif. All I need is rubber neckers pilling up along side the apparent cardiac patient creating a mass causultiy situation! Ok now-- EMS- partner get Roger Mills County EMS on the line- we need a ground unit to the 53 mm on hwy XYZ for a cardiac patient, 54 year old male pace maker firing.........

OK now What the HECK do you mean 35 mins for a ground unit!!!

(tones) AE 21... need you to respond to mm 53 HWY xyz in Somewhere OK, Roger Mills County..... 00 miles Heading of 000 for medical call... Coridinates will be 123456 x 654321 time of dispatch 0000... Ae 21 to CEN COM, we accpt this flight 15min ETE.......

Well now Sir you doing ok? "yes my friend just arrive @#$%@#$%% (static commenses....) pace maker again!! (3x'x now!) Ok Sir? why don't you just hand your friend the phone? Man hands phone to friend... This is Incog with Central Communications, I have sent a deputy to your location to secure the area, we also have a ground ambulance in route, and a helicopter. Just have patient sit calmly and quietly in his truck while we wait for help to arrive. I know you had plans to take him to the hospital in the Emerald City, however Sir from what I can asses, your friend needs emediate medical help. "Yeah- he don't look so great. He is clutching his chest- he looks all gray and he is sweating pretty good........"

Ok sir I will stay on the phone while we get help to you-- you just make sure he stays seated, he might loose contiouseness and we cant have him fall and get hurt if he does. Tell him help is on the way............( keep up the pep talk and reassureing for the next 10 min)

"CEN COM AE 21 on EMERALD CITY TOWER".............(21 Cen Com on Emerald City go..).....Cen Com AE 21 on final-- have scene in sight........(roger that ae 21 have you on final talk to you safe on the ground)

HHHmmmm partner? Why don't you call and see where our ground ambulance and Deputy is -- we got a crew landing on the road side as we speak--- need the area secured!!!

Sir? My helicopter crew is close-- do you have a visual on them?

"Yes they are in the field there......." Ok sir, STAY AT THE TRUCK. DO NOT APPROACH THE AIR CRAFT! THE MEDICAL CREW WILL COME TO YOU!

"Cen Com AE 21 Safe and assured on the ground coords 123456 x 654321" (Roger that ae 21 have you safely landed)

Sir? I will get off the phone now- my crew will take it from here, If you need any thing else please give me a call!!!

Crew landed in a field by the pickup 15 minutes after i answered this call. Normally we would fly him to the City to the Cath lab.. the Big Cardiac facility... but this one was bad-- very bad and he wasn't going to make a 55 min FLIGHT to the Big cardiac unit he needed to be in. So he gets flown to the hospital he wanted to drive to- 12 min flight. 35 minutes after the intial call he is on the pad at the hospital... he almost passed in flight. He NEVER would have made the trip by ground in the ambulance much less on scene!! OH did I mention that the ground ambulance arrived --running HOT no less , as my crew was lifting off with the patient. Bless their hearts they tried- they ran hard and they risked all they had to make it to the patient but they just where too far away. The deputy NEVER showed up- I placed a call both to the Ambulance disptach and the Sherriffs office the minute I got off the phone with my caller to advised I had a helicopter safetly landed.

35 minutes after we deliver this patient to the Emerald City, Emerald City calls us and tells us he is now STABLE but get him the heck out of their ER before he dies on them-- he needs to be at the Cardiac unit in the BIG CITY.

(tones) AE 21 need you to respond to the Emerald City 00miles heading of 000 for a pt transfer to the BIG CITY CARDIAC UNIT, pt wieght will be 215 lbs. Time of dispatch 0000..............

What makes this worthy of Chicken Soup you might ask??

Reciveing a phone call late at night from a flight crew member that hands the phone off to a young woman-- a young woman from miles away calling me to thank me for taking matter in my own hands and getting her father help. They all knew if he would have gone by ground he would not be here today. Her father, she says, is bull headed and stubborn and does every thing his own way. How I got him to listen to me she will never know but according to him, he could tell by my voice that I knew what I was doing and and he didn't think he needed to aurgue with me. So another life in Rural america saved.......

I don't often hear back from callers-- I have a few times and let me tell you it brought me to tears.... I was glad I was paying attention and fielded that call, saved a life even if i am sitting hundres of miles away on a phone line......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.