PA, NP, MPH, MD/DO...

UMSTUDENT

Congratulations and good luck AZCEP!

Now my story. I was an athletic trainer for 15 years (including 5 years in the NFL) when I decided to switch careers. I found a second degree BSN program which took 16 months to complete ( I already had a BA and an MEd.) I worked a year in an ICU. They hired me right out of nursing school because I was a medic and that hospital valued prehospital experience. Not all nursing departments do. I went to a CRNA program and got an MS. The program is difficult and time consuming. I worked as a medic while training as a CRNA because the pay difference between EMT-P and ICU RN was small plus I was able to study while working as a medic which was not possible while working as an RN. I have worked at a level one trauma center for 10 years but still find time to run on my community EMS agency.

Doczilla has many good recommendations especially the part about continuing your education. Don't stop taking classes even if you are not sure where you eventually want to go. Take classes that will apply to any higher education program.

I do disagree with Doczilla's opinion that working as a CRNA is boring. There are many different work settings and you make the most of what you have. I still find my work stimulating and enjoyable and yes the money isn't bad. We get paid well because we are valuable and in short supply. My work is not the same every day in that I may start the day doing a CABG and finish with a craniotomy. Yes I would be bored if I did gall bladders or hips all day but fortunately I work in a hospital that has a large variety and thankfully does not do transplants. Those are really boring!

Surgeons frequently tell me they want me or another CRNA in the room and not an anesthesiologist. I do the difficult airways where I work and the anesthesiologist pretty much stays out of the way. That is not the case everywhere. In fact, many hospitals in the US do not have anesthesiologists but only CRNA's.

I have the greatest respect for EMT's and paramedics that choose EMS as a career but I see many of them become frustrated because of low pay and little respect from other health care providers and the general public.

Good luck with your future education.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dustdevil,

Just to clarify, the term Mid-level provider I believe was made up by the Feds for DEA numbers (needed to prescribe controlled substances). I don't think anyone outside of that bureaucracy uses it.

In the clinical area we also us the word provider most often. Such as Primary Care Provider, vs Primary Care Physician.

by the way you look so familiar, I think I know you from somewhere..........

Virginia

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.