Was hazing a bad thing?

MedicAR

What sort of tasks do you believe that a new hire should have to perform to be considered a "full member?"

Maybe it's just me, but if someone is hired or accepted as a volunteer they are, and should be considered, a "full member". This doesn't include "probationary" status though. You should still have to prove that you are up to the challenge. I don't see how swallowing 20 gold fish or screwing a goat, or whatever can prove that you can function proficiantly in EMS or the fire service. Leave the demeaning, silly, and immature stunts to the frats. In this line of work you're suppose to be grown up.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me, but if someone is hired or accepted as a volunteer they are, and should be considered, a "full member". This doesn't include "probationary" status though. You should still have to prove that you are up to the challenge. I don't see how swallowing 20 gold fish or screwing a goat, or whatever can prove that you can function proficiantly in EMS or the fire service. Leave the demeaning, silly, and immature stunts to the frats. In this line of work you're suppose to be grown up.

Call me 'nitpicky', 'fussy' or whatever, but I don't see where you actually answered the question presented to you....What do you consider 'acceptable tasks' for the new employee to complete in order to 'prove themselves' worthy of 'full member' status?

Guess what I'm trying to say is that if for some reason someone feels like they just HAVE to subject a new employee to some kind of task, don't make it demeaning or have to think of something outlandish that has nothing to do with the job they have been hired to do. And like I said before, don't make a rookie do something that you haven't had to do yourself.

Clearly, the lesson here is that new employees should never be placed with partners who are neither educated nor trained in the proper processes of leadership, training, and precepting. Otherwise, you get what we are discussing here, which is a bunch of idiots who think their patch qualifies them as a leader, making up shyte as they go, with no real sound theory of employee development guiding them.

Clearly, the lesson here is that new employees should never be placed with partners who are neither educated nor trained in the proper processes of leadership, training, and precepting. Otherwise, you get what we are discussing here, which is a bunch of idiots who think their patch qualifies them as a leader, making up shyte as they go, with no real sound theory of employee development guiding them.

Shut the yapping up probie and get back to scrubbing the toilet with your toothbrush. :twisted: :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

Well put. :salute:

When I have had newbies doing a ride-along rotation, I tell them I am not the best. Take what ever good I can teach them, and the good of whatever crews they ride with before and after me, and hope to blend it well that they get the best of everybody, and reject the worst.

So, back on pg 2 I had posted some questions about whether you services have set criteria for pecepting/mentoring.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

MedicAR had responded quite nicely to this, and I am thinking this is the trend, that as long as there is a warm body available to "shape" the new recruit, that should be enough of a qualification.

I am thinking this is an area that could be developed for making the profession a bit more professional? Thoughts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.