Was hazing a bad thing?

MedicAR

I too got caught up in the question and lost sight of the spirit of your posts.

Behavioral psychology is a terribly strong tool for developing behaviors and attitudes. The problem is that while everyone claims they use it, it's rare to find anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of it's concepts, which are very, very specific.

A couple of books that you might find useful......

Dwayne, thanks for the suggestions on the books, as well as your other post. I thought I touched on the earlier post yesterday, but if I did, I missed the "submit" button or something.

I'll try to pick up the books after the mad holiday rush is over!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the skills-based "hazing," if you can even really call it that, but I'm not really a fan of forcing newbies to do all of the scut work and whatnot. I don't understand how it teaches people to "be a part of the team" by making one newbie do all of the work nobody else wants to do. Is that teamwork?

When given the opportunity, I try to lead by example. If I want the newbie to clean between the lugnuts, he will do it correctly because he saw me do it myself last time.

Personally I feel like this kinda hazing is more about asserting the superiority and rank of those already established rather than helping a new person become an effective member of the team. That may be just me though.

BINGO!!!!!

Yes Hazing was a bad thing, some places it was acceptable yes, but it was wrong. Peole were getting seriously injured even killed just to be part of the "in crowd". It's wrong in every sense.

BUt your alternative to hazing seems to be a good one, you could use something like they used to American Pie Beta House, they had a "pledge board" and before you became a full member you had to complete the tasks of 50 things.. that seemed like a good idea to me. :D

I myself have not been involved in any actual intended hazing. Sure, rookies or newbies can get the short end of the stick or the crappy duties, but that should be expected. You're at the bottom of the food chain. One thing I always made clear was that you can't be thin-skinned in this line of work. If it's something that needs to be done and someone pulls rank on you, get over it and do it. I would never force someone else to do something I would not be willing to do, or something I haven't done in the past. But to actually force someone to do something demeaning or some kind of "organized" ritual, or something that has nothing to do with job, is just plain wrong.

BUt your alternative to hazing seems to be a good one, you could use something like they used to American Pie Beta House, they had a "pledge board" and before you became a full member you had to complete the tasks of 50 things.. that seemed like a good idea to me. :)

What sort of tasks do you believe that a new hire should have to perform to be considered a "full member?"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.