90 y/o out of sorts. EKG?

bethea

[/font:ed2c2d0a1b] It's a 90 y/o female with hx of valve replacement , Iddm, pacemaker and htn. Pt is acting out of sorts for herself. She is "talking out of her head." Even though she has a pacemaker do you run an EKG on her or not ?

Better than talking out of her a$$

Yes I would still run an EKG, but I would first get a BGL (IDDM + acting inapproprate).

blood glucose first before ekg or anything else actually except the other vitals.

Just like mobey said.

90 percent chance of blood sugar problem and 10 percent chance of anything else.

Let's turn this around.

Bethea, what are your thoughts on this? did you actually have this patient? How did you address this patient? What were your treatment/evaluation steps?

[/font:b6cefd0264] Thank you much for your help, I thought maybe something else should have been done but the medic said being as the pt had a pacemaker it would defeat the purpose of the running the strip, Thank guys for you help :wink:

Sounds like a dumb medic. The 12 lead still shows whats happening including whether pacemaker is working properly or not.

I thought maybe something else should have been done but the medic said being as the pt had a pacemaker it would defeat the purpose of the running the strip...

Not knowing how to read an EKG defeats the purpose too.

Sounds like that's what the problem was here. :roll:

12-lead? Yes. Along with the usual neuro exam... and sats. If the medic didn't want anything else done, then the best course of treatment is a diesel bolus to prevent any prehospital iatrogenic mortality.

My honest opinion.

[/font:3b3a3f5e8c] the medic said being as the pt had a pacemaker it would defeat the purpose of the running the strip

I agree with previous posters that the initial vitals and blood glucose would be priority.... but to not consider an EKG as it would "defeat the purpose"..... hmmmmm

This would appear to be an excellent opportunity for you to do some research, compile your findings, and then approach this medic with some questions..... particularly, how would it defeat the purpose....