Plans for Utilizing Multiple Helicopters

Medic2588

Think Mutual AID -- its a wonderful thing........ Do you think any of our air craft where licensed in Lousianna when Katrina hit? Not all of them where licensed in Texas or Mississippi either for all that matters.....

Don't tell me! Tell NJ! It's obvious you've never had to deal with the stupidity that is NJ state government.

-be safe

There aren't that many(10) in the state and I don't know that there are that many in bordering states licensed to come into NJ. And as it stands, if you're not licensed in NJ they won't let you in.

Actually NJ has 11 licensed agencies who provide air medical services. 7 out of state, including 6 from Penn. and 1 from Delaware. Assuming each agency has at least 1 bird, then I believe you can have 10 in NJ at once, who are all licensed.

[spoil:af0ae95d12]

Link to Proof[/spoil:af0ae95d12]

The information provided on the link is out of date and not current.

The Lehigh Valley branch of University Medevac, as noted on the link, has split with University Medevac and is now affiliated with Air Methods. None of their aircraft are licensed in NJ.

The one Hahnemann University Medevac aircraft based in PA that could go into northern NJ is currently not in service. The Hahnemann University Medevac aircraft based in South Jersey is still in service.

The closest Stat Medevac aircraft is in Baltimore. Nowhere close to NJ. Certainly not close enough to be effective for a rapid scene response.

SkyFlightcare is in Chester County PA. I suppose they could respond to NJ for a scene response but they'd take at least 30 minutes to get there. Due to their base location, don't look for northern NJ availability.

Realistically, you're looking at five statewide aircraft. They are North Star, South Star, Medevac 5, Monoc and Air One. North Star is very unhappy with Monoc as of late. Don't look for them to be called first.

PennSTAR, JeffStat and Christiana would probably be next depending on incident location.

Skyflightcare may be a last resort.

Stat Medevac and Lehigh Valley aren't really contenders due to distance or licensing.

That makes nine total *if* the incident location is such that it makes it worth while to call all nine. Anything to the extreme north or south reduces that number of available aircraft considerably.

If people are willing to wait for significant response times it might work. Anything time sensitive, however, and people are pushing their luck.

-be safe

How did I know this would turn out the be this type of discussion?

Ladies and gents... we understand the concept of mutual aid. Currently there are 4 providers in NJ for helicopters (NorthSTAR, SouthSTAR, MONOC, and Atlantic). Our major planning initiatives for homeland security are now incorporating helicopters as a way of mitigating delays caused by the wonderful traffic in NJ. REMCS (the primary flight following center for EMS helicopters in NJ) has agreements already in place with every major provider of air support (private, police, civilian, military, helicopter, fixed wing, etc) in eastern PA, DE, NY, and CT. Getting the helicopters isn't a problem, we can probably have 30 in less than an hour. Licensing isn't a problem because in this type of event the Department of Health would waive the licensing regulations (and before you jump on that statement, DHSS has waived licensing, staffing, and other regulations in an expeditious manner during disasters - i.e, 9/11, the Blackout, and the recent wildfires in Ocean/Burlington Co).

I'm just looking for any plans people may have developed on how to manage these assets (fueling / narcotic agreements, financial tracking, helibase /fixed wing base management, etc).

Thanks,

Devin

How did I know this would turn out the be this type of discussion?

Ladies and gents... we understand the concept of mutual aid. Currently there are 4 providers in NJ for helicopters (NorthSTAR, SouthSTAR, MONOC, and Atlantic). Our major planning initiatives for homeland security are now incorporating helicopters as a way of mitigating delays caused by the wonderful traffic in NJ. REMCS (the primary flight following center for EMS helicopters in NJ) has agreements already in place with every major provider of air support (private, police, civilian, military, helicopter, fixed wing, etc) in eastern PA, DE, NY, and CT. Getting the helicopters isn't a problem, we can probably have 30 in less than an hour. Licensing isn't a problem because in this type of event the Department of Health would waive the licensing regulations (and before you jump on that statement, DHSS has waived licensing, staffing, and other regulations in an expeditious manner during disasters - i.e, 9/11, the Blackout, and the recent wildfires in Ocean/Burlington Co).

I'm just looking for any plans people may have developed on how to manage these assets (fueling / narcotic agreements, financial tracking, helibase /fixed wing base management, etc).

Thanks,

Devin

There are five air medical providers in NJ. North and South Star, Monoc, Atlantic and Medevac. Medevac 5 is based in Hammonton which is a little too far south for you guys up north.

As I said before, NJ can't even grasp the concept of closest available aircraft. I can't imagine they'd be willing to allow just anyone in even in an emergency.

But whatever. I don't live there. If, despite recent news coverage of the issues, the public can't be motivated to change things then it's not something I have to worry about. ;)

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.