Paramedic to RN throught The College Network

lilmo63

Is there any paramedics that have gotten there RN through The College Network Publishing company through Excelsior College? I was wondering if anybody had any comments about the program and if it is easy to accomplish. I have been through the academic advising and ready for the next step. All i have left are the 8 Nursing courses through The College Network. Can anybody help me that has knowledge about this???

Use the search function. Keyword: excelsior

No, it's not easier.

No, it's not faster.

It's damn expensive.

Ninety percent never finish.

Those who finish, are horrible nurses for a very long time.

Go to nursing school.

Additional points to Dust's comments.

Be sure to check that the state you want to work in "honors" their program. Just because you have the RN license in one state does not automatically allow one to obtain one in an another state. Each State Board, review where one graduates from so yes, education and school does count. Last, I had read approximately 4 states no longer accept RN's that graduated through Excelsior, many more State Boards are reviewing to change as well.

Unlike EMS, most state boards want longer and better programs. Also, if one is considering going upward such as graduate level (nurse anesthetist, practitioner, CNS) most of their nursing will not transfer.

My recommendation is to go to a real nursing school.

R/r 911

I know some people who have done the Excelsior program and it's worked great. What state are you in? Some states won't let you use Excelsior.

You don't have to buy anything from College Network, Excelsior has some free study guides. But if you want some help, check out all the companies that do that thing. Some are easier to work with than others. Also, check out study groups at Yahoo.

Good luck 8)

These folks have good things to consider, but one problem with school can be a waiting list. Since Excelsior doesn't operate on a traditional school schedule, you can enter anytime. Lots of hospitals have mentoring programs to help new nurses, so if I were unsure about my skills, I would look for a place that has a good mentoring program.