PD Full Arrests

Echoburger

Does your city's Police Department have Police Units with AEDs?  

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't Know
    • Let 'em die

Cops running emergency to these calls is questionable, EMS transporting a cardiac arrest to the hospital emergency traffic is foolish. Consider the risk to unrestrained providers attending to the patient, and for what?

Exceptions to this, in my opinion, would include pediatric arrests (in interest of family and crew mental health) and cases of penetrating trauma where surgical intervention may change the outcome.

Why is it questionable? If they have the training and equipment and can get there faster and probably more safely than a big fire truck or ambulance, why would the need exist for EMS to go L&S, but not PD? PD's not going to transport...they're going to get there to defibrillate...the whole Early CPR Early Defibrillation thing leading to more saves.

I have doubled checked and this is what they told me:

"Officers can run code at theri discretion"

That's probably why right there. The officers don't want to be first on-scene and do all the medical stuff. I've ridden with over 60 officers and I've never had one not roll code to a legit emergency because of a safety issue. Might as well not roll code 3 to catch the guy burglarizing your house or to an attempted sexual assault if the event is over and rapist is fleeing, if it's too dangerous to go code to a cardiac arrest and you have an AED.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cops around me will run emergent to arrests, since they are all equipped with AED's. I was very surprised to find the cops doing CPR once when I arrived. I think that the chances of full recovery from a cardiac arrest are already low, and any little chance we can approve it, should be done. I believe that this is one way to improve on those chances. It's worked well in my area..

Ok I'll agree if they are equipped and trained then they are a first response component of the EMS system. I should have been more attentive. Cops in our region are nothing more than spectators at cardiac arrest scenes. In your situation it may actually be as important for the cops to respond emergency than the ambulance since they can actually provide potentially life saving therapy

I worked on a grant that would have placed an AED in each patrol car in our county but was only able to get one law enforcement official to support me. The dumbass that was sheriff at that time was an uneducated "good ole boy" that fought against the effort from the initial stages. The grant would have paid 100% of the cost which makes it even more sad.

All police cars in our county have AEDs. They were purchased by the cardiologist group (as a tax write off) with the understanding that they will be used.

If a call comes in where an AED could be possibly used, they are to respond, unless they are dealing with a felony, etc.

In the surrounding areas, it all depends how many cops are working. If there is one cop, you get one. Sometimes you get more.

In the city, sometimes you have one cop, sometimes 10. it all depends. The street sergeant usually decides, and only one or two cars respond lights and sirens. Remember, there is an ambulance, supervisor, and a fire truck responding.

In my area, unless the officer is so inclined to keep up with skills on his own, the first responder class s/he had in class will be the last time they are taught anything more advanced that first aid and CPR/AED. This doesn't exactly compell them to be involved in our jobs. I'm not saying that they're not helpful overall, it's just that some of the new officers are not excited to jump into a medical/trauma emergency. The ones that do help do so because we have a very good relationship with our LEO's.

As far as safety is concerned, (spenac jumped on the soap box before I got a chance :( ), I remember reading somewhere that emergency response coming from different directions is a significant cause of accidents in emergency response. This may be a factor in their decision to run without L/S and give the right of way to EMS. In my area, LE response has typically been with the use of L/S if appropriate based on the call. I'd rather have a LEO =-respond non-emergent than hurry up to get there and not be helpful. If nothing else, we've had a few of them drive. They find out how spoiled they are with the Chargers. :lol:

Forgot to add to the fact, one such arrest I was on, there was even an airway adjunct properly in place. Maybe I got the one out of a handful of officers that actually listened in first responder school. PD in our area are pretty good when it comes to ems calls.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.