Jumping back in...any advice?

MO_EMT_Girl

Ok, so here's my situation, hopefully it somewhat fits in with the forum topic, i didn't know where else to put it, so here we go...

I got into a car accident about a month before my national testing and a week before my EMT-B class finals. It was a pretty bad accident (major neck/back injury) but I tried my hardest to stay and finish the class and testing. Thankfully the injury kept me out of work so it was almost a blessing that I got to study ALL THE TIME. I passed everything easily and got all of the paper work for my state licence. That was a little over six months ago (the accident) and I am finally getting to the point where I can actually start working again. The thing is I am a little freaked out now because I haven't been able to keep up with my EMS knowledge as much as I would like to. Is there any website, study guide, book, class, etc. that you would recommend I look at before I apply? I really want to know my stuff for interviews and honestly for the welfare of my patients. I've been keeping up with my CEUs for the most part but I need something else. Can anyone help??

Much appreciated!!!

Is there any website, study guide, book, class, etc. that you would recommend I look at before I apply? I really want to know my stuff for interviews and honestly for the welfare of my patients. I've been keeping up with my CEUs for the most part but I need something else. Can anyone help??

Much appreciated!!!

This site is a good start, follow the scenarios section as much as you can, it will help with assesment and critical thinking. You could also try some online tutorials to find the areas you need to work on.

You could also do some ride alongs to get the feel of dealing with patients again.

Remember you have only been "out" for 6 mos, if you feel you have lost your core knowledge you may want to retake the course.

Get with a service and third ride, may have to offer to do this w/o pay first to help yourself remember and second to prove yourself to the service. While waiting for calls practice your BLS skills. No book will be that much help for a basic. What basics do is more about what the see and how they react rather than having to diagnose and treat.

So go hands on. Then continue education to next level.

Hope you continue to feel better.

• 3 weeks later...