CROCS invade hospitals and nursing homes in Germany

Contadinella

... everytime I have to make a "delivery" during shifts, there are more and more people wearing those "cute" plastic shoes. And they only go for 80-100$ a piece. (Go to your local gardencenter, there u will get those plastic garden clogs, spray paint and a drill for about 15$)

The only really cool pair of those shoes can be seen on the feet of one of the docs in trauma. His name is something like Godhardt and he has GOD painted on top of his red shoes. First time I met him delivering a 19 y/o guy who was drunken and giddy enough to jump in a lake head first that had only about 30cm water.

Smashed C2, C3 and dislocated C5 and was "lucky" a doc was on scene to intubate him when he stopped breathing.

When we came into trauma unit, I saw those shoes with "God" on it and I said "Today is this guy lucky day" and the doc said "Depends on my mood today".

First we heard he also smashed the part of the brain for breathing, but he was "lucky" again it was only a swelling. Now he is 19 y/o and feels like Superman Christopher Reeves. Great.

But back to the original cause for this post:

I got this link from my brother

CROCS

Conta

• 1 month later...

As I do respect that website authors opinion, I take offense to that site. I am a nursing student and worked in an ER for a bit and I absolutely love croc shoes. I have about 4 different pairs and in the United States they are no where near as much as you quoted in your message contadinella. I get mine at an outdoors store for about $30 USD. They are the most comfortable pair of shoes that I own. I have also heard from CHF patients with pedal edema that they are the only shoes they can wear with out discomfort. Just my $0.02 worth thought.

I wear them, they are comfortable, casual, and easy to clean. Actually have several pairs in different styles..................

I enjoyed the link that you supplied, it really reinstated my belief in the stupidity of society..............

Ok, you really need to take the Maddox site with a rather large grain of salt.

While I don't know if Crocs are comfortable or not, they do look like the type of shoe worn in places and at times where comfort takes priority over look.

Tho I understand some of the reasoning behind wearring crocs, I have a hard time understand why in the world you would ever consider wearring them in the hospital setting.

The idea of having an open shoe in a setting where you have every possible diseases, bateria and illnesses going around. The idea of allowing such a dirty body part out in the open. What about needles? what do you do when a used needle falls and hits your toe?

I know here worker's comp WILL NOT cover you if you were wearring open shoes at the time of injury in the workplace. Thats more than enough for me to NOT wear crocs while at work.

Appropriate Crocs

And So On....

And So Forth...

The ones with holes? No way. These? Sure! Why not? Easier to clean than nice leather or cloth shoes.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• 3 months later...
Have you worn crocs, very comfy.

Comfy isn't going to protect your feet very well from the wide range of things that can fall onto them in the healthcare environment.

Leather duty boots with a rigid sole, preferrably with a kevlar insole for me thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.