Thoughts on Fire vs Private vs 3rd Service Organizations

mark

Are you Fire, Private, or 3rd Service?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Fire-based EMS
    • Private Company EMS
    • 3rd Service EMS (such as Hospital, County, Law Enforcement, or Volunteer)

Hi everyone. I'm writing a paper on the Pros and Cons of each type of provider service. I need to ask this question carefully, as it could very easily open up the floodgates. I'd like your thoughts on the service you work for, what type and provider level it is, how it works with other services, how it compares to other services you may have worked for, and what could be improved upon. I know this is asking a lot, but since every topic usually ends up getting into the same debates, I'd prefer responses be kept to the topic at hand, and any comments you may have about other peoples responses (including mine) be sent via private message, email, or even opening up another thread. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated, as would any debates being kept off this thread.

So ignoring the poll. My soon to be primary service is a county service. Entire county has no more than 15000, probably closer to 12000 residents in around 3500 square miles. It has citys of about 9000, 2000, 800, 400. There are 5 staffed ambulances. 4 are staffed at all times with at least 1 paramedic. There is 1 ambulance in each city except the 9000 city has 2. The second ambulance at minimum has at least an EMT-I. Pay is better than most of the rates(USA) people have discussed here on the site. The pros are the citys and countys have combined forces to have all paid services. All of this county was volly just 7 years ago and people had to wait until somebody responded to the tones which at times has meant calling in other ambulances, so many responses longer than 30 minutes and often at BLS level. Now ambulance is enroute within 90 seconds of 911 tone for ambulance and you will get an ALS provider. To solve the problem of so many agencys being involved it is under the direction of a board with members from each city and the county that we answer to.

What is currently my primary is city run. Paid. Under staffed, under funded. There is no direction. The city sees it as a money loser and pushs it aside to the harm of the area. Only positive is that it is paid not volly.

Hope that helps with some info.

If you are a lifer, a fire-based system will be more likely to have a real career ladder than a 3rd service. They have a better retirement system too. A fire-based or 3rd service is more likely to be 911 only. It all depends on what you want, what your goals are. A private will be more flexible in scheduling, which could be useful if you are still going to school.

If you are a lifer, a fire-based system will be more likely to have a real career ladder than a 3rd service. They have a better retirement system too. A fire-based or 3rd service is more likely to be 911 only. It all depends on what you want, what your goals are. A private will be more flexible in scheduling, which could be useful if you are still going to school.

Not in all areas. My county is in the state retirement system. It's as good if not better than any fire services in my area. Co pay for meds $2 generic, $4 name brand. Family on insurance for $60 month. Now your right not room for advancement maybe shift supervisor, assistant director, director. But you do get annual pay raises. I guess my point is there is no blanket statement can be made about any type of EMS.

Thanks for the input. Anyone have any thoughts on the dynamics between the services when they interact?

It's going to depend on the services really. Just because people work for 2 different types of services does not automatically mean that they will be butting heads on calls all the time. Though that does happen. A lot. It'll depend on a lot though; how each organization views EMS, what each's history with EMS is, how each is run, and what they want to get out of EMS.

Far as the original question, I work as a firefighter/paramedic, but a county run third service, or city I suppose, is probably the best way for a transporting EMS agency to be run. If it's not based on a private service model that is.

I work for a private service. There's two divisions, one for Oklahoma City and one for Tulsa. I work for the Tulsa side.

Our coverage area is around 650,000 people in Tulsa, 3 surrounding larger suburbs (about 20k population), and a few small towns. We work with 5-6 fire departments as first responders on a regular basis and a few others on occasion. We also utilize the surrounding ALS services (both fire-based and private) as mutual aid. We do 911 and transfers. Average call volume (including non-emergent transfers) is about 6-10 per 12 hour shift.

We have a good working relation with all other services we encounter on a normal basis (fire, pd, other EMS). We get along pretty well with anyone. We do call on mutual aid and they call on us on a regular basis and we've gotten used to working with their personnel and local fire departments.

One of the advantages of a private service is we are open to bid for the city every 5 years, so we have to prove that we provide the highest quality service at an affordable price to stick around. It also makes it so the level of training is above the state required and most of our equipment is tested and proven.

One of the draw backs is currently most of the surrounding private services are starting at a better pay and we have to go through a lot of hoops to get a raise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.