How long to wait to become a Medic

My school rocks thank you very much. They offer Paramedic degree and certificate. I would rather get the certificate first than go back in get my degree. This doesn't make me a "substandard medic." There is more to being a paramedic than education and you can't earn everything in school. You have to get a career and learn it on the streets. You can take all the classes that the college offers and still be a substandard medic or you take the bare minimum and be a above average medic. Education does help and determine the type of medic you will be but it is not the only thing, I believe experience beats all those extra classes.
But however much of a kickass medic you'd be without the other education, how much MORE kickass would you be WITH the extra education, so that when you took your medic course you could so easily integrate everything with what you already know about biology and the human body!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My school rocks thank you very much.

More proof that you should never take educational advice from somebody who doesn't have education yet. Speedy has yet to show up for day 1 of paramedic school, but he is already convinced that his school (which he hasn't even been accepted in yet) "rocks." And ya know what.... even after he finishes that school, he won't have a clue whether or not it rocks, because it's the only school he's ever been to. Kids whose parents abuse them think they have the best parents in the world too. When you have no frame of reference, you don't know where your school stands. And everybody wants to think their school "rocks." Most of them don't. And any school that is in a hurry to rush you through without a foundation ranks right in there with the "most of them."

I would rather get the certificate first than go back in get my degree. This doesn't make me a "substandard medic."

I suppose if your "standard" is nothing but a patch on your shoulder, then you're right. But if your standard is medical knowledge and understanding of medical practice, then you're wrong. You are very definitely a sub-standard medic if you have a sub-standard education. That's simple math, dude. Maybe if you had an education, you'd understand that concept.

I guess your "standards" are just lower than mine. Let's hope your future employer has low standards too, or you'll be unemployed. But really, do you want to work for an employer with low standards? What does that say about you?

There is more to being a paramedic than education and you can't earn everything in school. You have to get a career and learn it on the streets. You can take all the classes that the college offers and still be a substandard medic or you take the bare minimum and be a above average medic. Education does help and determine the type of medic you will be but it is not the only thing, I believe experience beats all those extra classes.

Then you're either retarded and lack the mental capacity to understand the educational process, or you're just selfish, immature, and in serious denial. Either way, I wouldn't hire you.

This clearly illustrates one of the biggest and best reasons to NOT delay paramedic education. Because, like our friend Speedy here, once you waste a couple of years as an EMT, you finally realise you want to be a medic, and now you're in a hurry, so the temptation to take shortcuts is overwhelming. If you had just jumped right in with your education in the beginning, you'd be a medic already and have a degreed education and not have to rush it.

Obviously the question is, do you want to be a degreed paramedic two years from now, or do you want to still be an EMT-B, looking for the fastest way to get a paramedic patch so you can catch up with those who started two years ago?

:) :twisted: :D

I have been attending this school for a couple years. So I know it rocks. True I have not been in the program, but I know all the teachers and many of the other students.

A paramedic certificate is not a meritbadge or a patch. It is sad that you put it down to that level.

Then you're either retarded and lack the mental capacity to understand the educational process, or you're just selfish, immature, and in serious denial. Either way, I wouldn't hire you.

None of those apply to my personality.

I wouldn't work for you anyways. :shock:

A paramedic certificate is not a meritbadge or a patch. It is sad that you put it down to that level.

No you also get a snazzy certificate and a cool little card to put in your wallet. :roll:

You know what the difference between an educated person and a trained monkey is?

An educated person will listen to those that have already been down the road they are just starting.

well, none of these really answered my question, this has become a place for shameless bickering. well, nevermind I will ask someone else this question

Were you expecting a single concrete answer? You asked for people's opinion on if you should stay a basic for a bit or become a paramedic immediately. People are going to have different reasons and different opinions on which you should do, and since the "BLS for a year, then ALS" is for all means an EMS "tradition," [paying your dues, BLS, before AL, [insert another cliche here], people are going to have strong opinions on it.

Your question was answered by different people, then the discussion moved on the discuss the merits between immediate and delayed entry to medic school. Personally, I'd rather have advice that's well debated than advice that seems to be apriori, "because I said so," or "that's the way it's always been."

well, none of these really answered my question, this has become a place for shameless bickering. well, nevermind I will ask someone else this question

Give it a year as a basic to see if you like it. If in that time you realize that "hey, I want to be a medic too," then go for it. In the Denver area we have programs that require both one year emt experience and A&P I and II. We also have programs that require neither. I just took entry exams for a local school that requires one year of work, A&P I&II, IV and EKG basic. I have a year and a half in as a basic and know that I want to commit to the next step.

Or as Master Po said;

"When you can snatch the pebble......then you are ready."

Master Po also said;

"When you can walk the rice paper and leave no mark..........then you are ready."

Try not to get frustrated by the COE on this board, just sift out the chaff and find your own path. :lol:

Do what you want. Ignore all the ones that have experience and posted.

If you don't want advice don't ask. The fight is not a fight it is each person backing the reason he feels so strongly one way or the other. If you can't handle the heat in the forum you'll never survive in the field.

I like the idea of having educational prerequisites prior to medic school. To be honest, though, I know lots of paramedics both "educated" and "uneducated" and I don't think the differences between them is as consistent as many would like.

I know lazy, educated paramedics who think they are too good for this job. I know of a college graduate paramedic who is very intelligent, who truly does not care that much about this profession and spends little time in improving himself in it. There are lots of people like this.

I know some "certificate only" paramedics with high school educations who are extremely focused on the job, consistently present at the CME opportunities, and to be honest: absolutely amazing paramedics.

I have thought about this alot actually, and I think that the real difference between good paramedics and bad is not education and not experience (to a degree), but interest in medicine and a strong desire to do well. People who care about EMS, about prehospital care, are the people who go out there and stay up to date on the research, who look up pathologies after the call to refresh their memory and improve themselves "for the next time." People who are not burnt out, who have a strong belief that what they do matters, and an interest in performing their job as well as possible. Those are the people, to me, who make great paramedics (and EMTs!).

Education is great, believe me I am all for education. ...But don't get carried away with it's benefit. It makes a difference in the right hands, but even with a million college credits under his belt, the under motivated and directionless person will still perform poorly. Required education will elevate this field because it will attract people willing to jump through the hoops and spend the time to do the job. I believe THAT is the difference. If we raise the standard, we will cut ourselves free from the people who only "kinda" want to be here, and are not interested in what this is all about. ...And plus we will get people who can write a little more clearly.

As far as the original question, I think the following are necessary prior to medic school:

1. A REAL interest. Not in just the paycheck or the "respect." Interest in the medicine and the opportunity you will be given. However long it takes for you to make this decision truthfully is time well spent.

2. At least some road experience. More than half of good paramedicine is scene control, knowing how to talk with patients, ambulance operations, and the knowledge necessary to make tough decisions like "stay and play" vs "load and go." ALS is mostly BLS, and trust me: EMT school does not teach you even close to everything you need to know.