what sould you do

so I got a call for a child that swallowed approximatly 2 AMBION pills not to long ago, and poison control said the child was going to be tired and didnt need an ER visit but we did take the child in...should DCFS have been called since the pills were out in the open? The cop on scene even siad the story didnt match. Im a new basic and I really dont know how to handle soemthing like that...plus it was a child so thats always nervracking but i have had 2 calls for children and have been fine so far!

First thing you should do is use spell check.

Second sometimes an accident is an accident. Sometimes a child really does fall off a couch and get hurt. Not every injured child is abused. Sometimes people accidentally drop or leave pills out. In a panic stricken state parents and for that matter anyone else will have a story that changes. I worry more when everyone has the exact story word for word every time I ask them. Was there any other indication the child was in a dangerous environment? Any indication of abuse?

...the pills were out in the open? The cop on scene even siad the story didnt match.

The pills were out in the open and the kid got into them. What did not match in the story?

As spenac said, sometimes it is an accident. One of my in-laws constantly drops their pills on the floor. A good rule of thumb is to notify CPS/DCFS/DYFS or whatever you local acronym is, if there is any doubt. They will investigate and determine if there is any concers. It sucks for the parents to have to go through the process, but at least the child will be protected. With you lack of experience however, I would discuss it with someone with a little more experience first.

I agree with ERDoc, my parents watched my daughter once and while she was suppose to be going "potty" she was going through medicine cabinet and eating the pretty little red candies - which were Sudafed. When I found out, I was a young daddy, I freaked out and stuck my finger down her throat and caused her to throw up and ran her to the ER. I way over reacted and this was before I was a EMT B or P. You should be able to ask your service for the numbers to your local departments that can handle this situation. If you did call Division of Family Services it could backfire and be very damaging to a family but I also believe if nothing wrong is going on then they have nothing to be worried about. Maybe, a sincere talk to the family and call if they blow it off. You should ask your service for the numbers to protect Geriatics and Pediatrics because unforunately, you will not need to be a EMT very long before you will see authentic abuse happening. :cry:

You contacted poison control and that was good . PD's on scene , if they feel there's a need to contact CPS or whoever , let them handle it , remember you're EMS , not an investigator . Pills left out around a toddler constitute felony careless stupidity but not abuse or a criminal act . With PD there , if there are other signs of abuse , notify the officer and let him handle it .

You contacted poison control and that was good . PD's on scene , if they feel there's a need to contact CPS or whoever , let them handle it , remember you're EMS , not an investigator . Pills left out around a toddler constitute felony careless stupidity but not abuse or a criminal act . With PD there , if there are other signs of abuse , notify the officer and let him handle it .

I'd be careful giving out advice like that. In some states (at least in NY), EMS providers are mandated reporters. Never assume that someone else will call. If you feel there is a problem, make the call.

In Texas if you suspect abuse of children or elderly you must report it to protective services. Telling the cops or the doctor does not cover you.

^

Same thing in California. The exception to that is if you are a part of a team [for example, you and your partner]. In that case, one report can be sent for both members instead of each sending in their own report.