Are you proud of where you work?

fiznat

Are you proud of where you work?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Wow, sounds exactly every hospital based programme I have ever worked for. :shock:

Obviously everybody (except for Niftimedi911) finds significant problems at their agency that they wish they could change. But really, most of those problems are visible only from the inside. So, although it is not my question to rephrase, allow me to rephrase the original question a little. Considering your agency's public image -- to the general public and to the EMS/public safety community -- are you proud of your association with that agency, or are you happy that people mistake you for a fireman? Does the general public have faith in you, or would they rather crawl to the hospital? Do the cops and the firemonkeys respect you, or do they roll their eyes when they see you coming? Do all the wankers, students, transfer monkeys and wannabes in the area wish they worked for your agency, or are they all looking for something better? Do other EMS agencies in the area pray they never get sick in your city? Is the only press your agency gets bad press?

Here's the ultimate question: If you became the director of a top-notch service tomorrow, with the responsibility of hiring only the very best, and you got an application from somebody whose total experience was five years as a medic at your current service, would that work in their favour, or would you roll your eyes and think, "oh God"?

So, by "pride," I think we are looking at an overall, big picture. All things considered, and from every angle (not just as an employee), to the positives so significantly outweigh the negatives that you can -- like on Mother, Jugs & Speed -- wear your uniform to a city council or county commissioners meeting with pride, and not have everybody look at you as a loser? Can you walk into a national EMS conference and announce where you work to people from across the country and not have to blush? Or is this just the only EMS job you could get in your area, and you'd rather be anywhere but there? Or is this just a means to an end? Just a temporary stop-over til you finish medic school or get on with the fire department, where you will then deny ever having worked there?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most at my company would answer a strong "yes". Within the BS system we have, it's way above most if not all other companies in the area. Pay sucks, but good people, everyday exposure to management, open door policy, even the CEO goes out in the field from time to time, and almost all staff, including dispatchers, admin, marketers, are EMTs or paramedics.

Dusty, feel free to rephrase if you are going to do it like that. Nicely said.

Only bit I would change is about the perception of the public towards EMS. Unless other areas are vastly different from mine, I don't think that the public truly has any interest in what we do until they call, and honestly no understanding in how we work whatsoever. What would you estimate the percentage of laypeople who have no idea what the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic is? 60%? More?

This is actually one of the reasons I feel... how do I say... less full of pride about my job. Most people have no idea what Paramedics are capable of, believe them to be blue-collar ambulance drivers, and could probably give a shit about their medical opinion. To many people, I am a ride to the Doctor-- and that hurts the pride a little bit, despite any self-satisfaction I am able to pull from the work.

As far as from within the EMS community, though, I have to say that I do have quite a bit of pride about where I work. My service is looked upon as one of the more "serious" places to work since we cover a large urban area with a notoriously high crime rate. I know from working elsewhere that it is assumed by many outside of my service that we are very selective about who we hire, and maintain fairly high standards about who we keep around. Seeing the service from the inside, though, is sometimes different.

I would like to hear about how other people feel about these points at their jobs, though. Keep it coming!

Nope, I have tried to be...after 10 years just stuck around for the $$$ and vacation time...thankfully they are closing their doors and forcing me to look elsewhere...found a new place where pay is better and from everything i've heard and seen of them the past 10 years i will soon be able to answer this post with a yes.

F/T gig- Nope, I'm a number to them, they are a paycheck to me (Not truly EMS related)

P/T gig- Yeah I'd say so. We got a bad rep for a while due to some idiodic ex employees but we are changing it. Not many in the world can say they do what I do (Special Events EMS no slings no 911) and I have the best assignment of them all. My boss truly cares about his people, I can say I would do anything for him and he would do anything for me(and has done a lot), I have a good core group of co workers with some promising new guys. I can truly say our equipment is as nice as it can be and we try to keep it that way. There will always be people that frustrate you at any job. Do your best to work around them

Dust, Why did ya have to bring me into this?? ( It's ok I forgive ya )

Perhaps let me let you all know EMS isn't fun & games to me anymore. I know I balantly put it out there that I was one of the biggest EMTCity whackers out there. (maturity does come with education, as I'm 3 months from getting my AS degree finally and hpefully will be working on my Public Safety management Bachelor's!!) If someone would walk up to me and ask me if I was proud to be associated with LCEMS. I would definately say yes. Am I proud to work alongside some of the nation's best EMT's and Paramedics? Your darn right I am. Am I happy to work for LCEMS, yes and no, its based on how much admin wants to piss me off while I'm on duty. Do I like being reffered to as a FF? (No harm guys) I hate it. It's like calling a a security officer at the mall a police officer. I'm not a fire monkey who likes to play with hoses all day. Do I love what I do?? I put my heart, mind, and soul into every call. Am I proud to wear my uniform in stores, to county commissioner meetings, pretty much anywhere, yes. Aside from the fact that we're often confused with either fire or security b/c of our light blue smirf shirts. When I went to previous conferences, last one in Orlando, FL. I happened to finally get exposed to other angecies, different practices, and different products (outside of my Lee County bubble). I was proud to say where I was from.

Here's my rant about those bad apples: The administration here only thinks about themselves, what is in it for them. Example: Our E-PCR software was purchased only because it eased billing and administration operations instead of making the program help the crew. Shift Commanders are completely biased when it comes to handing out OT assignments. I was recently passed up for an assignment because I "gave him an attitude" over the phone when I called to request a vacation day because it was my wife's and I 2nd year anniversary. The EMT that got the assignment has been here less than 7 months, I'm going on three years Nov. 17. The union we have is a joke, there is no unity within our agency and ranks. Our trucks are massive and a complete waste of money. A Ford F-450 type I mod works just fine for me.

The good couple of things:

We do have good Equipment (stretchers, laptop computers, CPAP, IVAC pumps, etc)

We are a very medically driven agency. We have very progressive medical protocols, with a medically diverse and one of a kind medical director at the forefront. A freedom to practice medicine, meaning if your a cookbook medic (as I am starting to learn not to be) this isn't the place to be. Your challenged on a daily basis. (As everyone is every single time they answer the page or tone for service).

Salaries and bene's are top notch

Thats about it.

Dust, Why did ya have to bring me into this?? ( It's ok I forgive ya )

Just messin with ya, bro! It's refreshing to see somebody occasionally in a situation with more positives than negatives. It gives hope to the rest of us. Yeah, you seemed a little over-enthusiastic for awhile, but always in a good way. And it looks like you are progressing well. Your attitude has always been good, and I've always felt you had a bright future, so long as you balanced your expectations with the realities of EMS. Congratulations on being so close to graduation. You're setting a good example for the other young guys jumping into the field. I hope the others take it as seriously as you have.

I used to always think you guys hated me...... because I was a whacker :lol:

Thank you for those kind words Dust : I knew you were messing with me.

So anyways, yea MESS I mean EMS has its ups and downs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.