Firefighter jobs cut

JakeEMTP

Lack of IVs? What are you talking about here? Our ALS trucks have every bit of equipment as the municipal trucks, and probably more. Every truck that hits the road has to have the MINIMUM of gear set forth by the Michigan EMS department, and our trucks definitely meet that criteria. We're also CAAS (Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services) accredited which has tighter requirements for our trucks and our personnel.

Just because you have the same equipment doesn't mean you

1. Know when to use it.

2. Use it appropriately

When continually its come to the ED without IV access there's a problem. Let me specify, when an IV is appropriate. Accreditation is company wide not individual based.

Sub-par care? Excuse me? I was trained in the same room by the same teachers on the same gear as firefighters from every city in the area. I took the same test and sent my license application to the same address in Lansing. To work for my company, I had to pass a criminal background check, license check, TB test, had to get Hep B immunized, and had to take a defensive driving course. Not to mention all of the in-service training and continuing education we have to attend.

When pts are mismanaged for example wrong treatment for condition

That's subpar care just because your trained to do it doesn't mean your competent.

There are a lot of competent medics who work at healthlink I know quite a few and chances are we know each other as well my issue is just the habitual problems I've seen.these aren't second hand instances.

I'll have you know that at any given point, there are no less than 2 trucks covering the city of Taylor. Not "meat in the seat, pulled from other city" trucks, but dedicated, stationed in Taylor for ONLY the use of Taylor. When those trucks are dispatched, they send other trucks in for coverage. More often than not, the "coverage" trucks are pulled from either Heritage hospital (in Taylor) or Oakwood Main (which is about 6-7 miles away), then posted in Taylor to provide extra coverage.

There are no trucks posted at either hospital.

Quality people? Please don't mistake our lack of pay as a lack of quality. I love my job and have worked with dozens of people who also love their job. We're all in it to provide the best patient care available. We know that if we screw up, we don't have a union who will come in and protect our jobs, so we actually have to work hard keeping people happy.

I would really suggest that you do a little research on the company before you spew off with a bunch of rhetoric and propaganda by angry firefighters and ignorant media personnel.

Not even going to respond to that.

PS. Before it becomes the next argument that gets tossed out (because it always does); YES, your fire chiefs son works for our company.

Yes I know that and know him as well not my issue.

NO, he did not have any influence on who was picked for the contract. We were picked because 1. We're located in Taylor, 2. We have the manpower to support a large contract, 3. We have a reputation of being one of the best private companies in the area, due to our accreditation and our size.

Control over the area? Do you believe that whenever we see a Rapid Response, Concord, or Superior truck, we get out and have a knife fight in the streets? We happen to have a great relationship with several other private companies who transport in and out of "our" area on a daily basis. Yes, we happen to have 911 contracts with several other cities in the area, but that stems from my earlier comment that "we have the manpower to handle such a contract, as well as the reputation for being good at what we do".

Again, you're falling back on the "quality people" argument. Did you know that you probably just insulted about 20-30 volunteer firefighters? That's right... we're not JUST private company EMT/Medics, we also volunteer in our communities.

Good working relationship with the hospital; Did you see what name is right by Healthlink on the side of our trucks? It says "Oakwood Hospital". The very same Oakwood hospital that has 3 major facilities in our operating area, as well as several urgent care and clinic facilities. It's just my personal experience talking now, but every single person I've ever worked with at a hospital has treated me and my partner with respect and courtesy, and that has been returned in kind. Same goes for our patients; respect and courtesy.

Tell ya what I can give you specifics that I won't put out there for everyone.......

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

One thing to add here CphT, your brand new basic correct ??? And your defending a company you've worked for around a month right??? Just checking my facts

Before I continue this, I want to know who I'm talking to. Please send me a PM. I'll return the favor once I know who I'm dealing with.

And before we continue this discussion further, I really want you and everyone else to know something.

I hate the fact that the firefighters lost their jobs. I hate that the company I just started working for (yes, I am new to the company, a quick forum search will reveal that) is getting bad press because the citizens are rightfully angry about what's happening. I WOULD much rather see firefighters gainfully employed, no matter how much money they make (good union negotiator, for the win).

On the other hand, when people start attacking the company that, as short as I have been there, has treated me so well, I get offended and I get mad. I have heard every argument against Healthlink that I can possibly imagine, and then some, including; "we're all criminals", "we hurt more patients than we help", and the worst of all, because some people actually believe this one, " we don't know what we're doing".

I don't want to come off as hostile. On the contrary, I would actually love to sit down with you and talk about this, so I can open my eyes a bit. I would say let's meet up for coffee and talk about it, but I'm working 7 days a week right now trying to build seniority and hours at Healthlink, while trying to maintain enough hours at my day job for insurance coverage.

I will listen to whatever you have to say, and you can feel free to PM me at will about it.

• Like 1

Ahhhh the good old Beer Summit. Think this one will bring is as many news agencies and cameras as the one at the white house?

I think not.

...And before we continue this discussion further, I really want you and everyone else to know something.

I hate the fact that the firefighters lost their jobs. I hate that the company I just started working for (yes, I am new to the company, a quick forum search will reveal that) is getting bad press because the citizens are rightfully angry about what's happening. I WOULD much rather see firefighters gainfully employed, no matter how much money they make (good union negotiator, for the win)...

You lost me here. I'm not sure if he's succeeded in making you feel guilty for your point of view and your new job? If so kudos to him for his argument and you for being willing to change your mind...

Firemen got into a career where they believed that they were untouchable, where whether they worked or not, were needed or not, that they would receive above average pay and benefits. Now they're screaming tragedy (In general, not this situation specifically) any time one loses a job.

I would ask you this...why is it more tragic when a fireman loses a job than when anyone else loses theirs?

And smsturms....good on your for sticking man. Maybe 2% would stay after the way things started here with you. And yet you stay, continue to stay pretty much on point and make your argument, and I think that we're all the better for it. Pretty friggin' cool...

You lost me here. I'm not sure if he's succeeded in making you feel guilty for your point of view and your new job? If so kudos to him for his argument and you for being willing to change your mind...

Firemen got into a career where they believed that they were untouchable, where whether they worked or not, were needed or not, that they would receive above average pay and benefits. Now they're screaming tragedy (In general, not this situation specifically) any time one loses a job.

I would ask you this...why is it more tragic when a fireman loses a job than when anyone else loses theirs?

And smsturms....good on your for sticking man. Maybe 2% would stay after the way things started here with you. And yet you stay, continue to stay pretty much on point and make your argument, and I think that we're all the better for it. Pretty friggin' cool...

Now that I know who he is, I can say he is VERY credible in the area. I know I've run into him before on the job, and I know he can make my career a living hell, or he could end my career if he so chooses. So quite frankly, I changed my tone. Checked myself before I riggidy wrecked myself, so to speak.

I've been laid off before, from Ford to be specific, so I know how much it sucks to have your career ripped out from under you. Luckily, I was already past my Associate's degree and well on to my BS in Biology, knowing that the medical field was where I'd end up. People like the Taylor Fire Dept may have gone right from high school to the local community college and ended up as fire fighters. If someone told me that they were going to pay me $60k a year for a job that most people make half that, I'd be all about it. I've said it from the beginning in other forums, it sucks that the firefighters were laid off, just as much as it sucks when anyone is laid off.

That having been said, when someone comes forth with accusations, especially ones that hit so close to home, I tend to go on the defensive. If Smsturms had come forward and said that he was just any old citizen of Taylor, I probably would have ripped him a new one. However, he has a first hand knowledge of the events, and has evidence to back up who he is.

I'm taking a less defensive stance now, as I want to take his observations and learn from them, as well as try to correct them. If a one-month-old basic EMT can bring attention to the shortcomings in our service, then maybe we can continue to grow and provide what I see as the best service in the area.

• Like 1

Like I said from the beginning its not a private vs. FF issue its all about I want my family to receive top notch care if needed and I'm sorry but haven't seen it. Yes your sticking for your company I'm sure you take pride in what you do as we all do here. I can name six fire dept around that are less then competent. Yes you're new I've been around awhile and know most the ppl you work with as they hop the private shop

But there's some very good medics there, but being such a large company as community is they should have put their

Best foot forward and been a little more selective on who they put where......:D

Now that I know who he is, I can say he is VERY credible in the area. I know I've run into him before on the job, and I know he can make my career a living hell, or he could end my career if he so chooses. So quite frankly, I changed my tone. Checked myself before I riggidy wrecked myself, so to speak.

Off topic for this thread, but very much on topic for this, and most any, forum in general.

You do understand that this makes you nothing more than an internet toughguy, right? Someone who, while able to remain anonymous will say/do anything and pretend to be anything they want (not saying all that applies to you, just in general), but when faced with someone who actually knows who they are, clams up, and/or is revealed to be full of shit.

Basically, it's someone who pretends to be something they aren't; either a person who is willing to speak their mind and be honest and accurate when in fact they really aren't, or something else.

Doesn't lend much credibility to your words when that happens, and says a lot about you as a person.

Had to be said; it's something that bothers me a lot, and is a downside of an anonymous internet forum. And it is something to be taken seriously; like it or not, to a member of the general public who stumbled across here, we would be seen as representative of our profession. Something to keep in mind.

He had the goods on anyone local enough to know the difference. Why leave?

Off topic for this thread, but very much on topic for this, and most any, forum in general.

You do understand that this makes you nothing more than an internet toughguy, right? Someone who, while able to remain anonymous will say/do anything and pretend to be anything they want (not saying all that applies to you, just in general), but when faced with someone who actually knows who they are, clams up, and/or is revealed to be full of shit.

Basically, it's someone who pretends to be something they aren't; either a person who is willing to speak their mind and be honest and accurate when in fact they really aren't, or something else.

Doesn't lend much credibility to your words when that happens, and says a lot about you as a person.

Had to be said; it's something that bothers me a lot, and is a downside of an anonymous internet forum. And it is something to be taken seriously; like it or not, to a member of the general public who stumbled across here, we would be seen as representative of our profession. Something to keep in mind.

OK, OK, You got me!!! I will tell the truth now!!!

Internetme.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.