The day I met the boss

certguy

My first 6 months with Schaefer amb. I worked as a relief dispatcher prior to going into the field . One night I was working graveyard shift . It was a hot night and our a/c was down , so I had the door open with the screen door shut . It was about 2:00 am and I was busy with calls when I heard the door open and shut behind me . The 24 hr. crew's quarters were in an apartment right above me and they were in station , so I thought it was one of them coming down to talk . Soon I heard the loudset snoring ever going off right behind me . I got mad and turned to wake him up . I was shocked to see what looked like the perverbial confused Alhzheimer's pt. snoring away . The first thing I thought was that he got confused and walked away from home . This guy was wearing an old , stained nasty T - shirt , khaki pants with suspenders , and old sneakers . I thought about calling PD , but figured I'd check with our crew first to see if they knew him . I woke one of them up and met him outside to explain the situation . When he went inside , he broke up laughing and told me the guy was non other than Walt Schaefer , the millionare owner of the company . Man , did I almost make a bad career move !!! The family had an apartment at the station I didn't know about and stayed there when they were in town . A week later I was working the same shift when he again came in . he was quiet till I had some free time , then while I was drinking coffee , he said , " So I hear you almost called the cops on me ! " I choked on my coffee . Before I could answer , he laughed and said it was okay . That was the start of several late night conversations I had with him before he died . He was a cool old guy who's 15 min. of fame was when he transported Marylin Monroe , thus becoming a witness in the investigation . He was a great story teller and on slow nights , he helped pass the time . I definitely learned that not all things are as they seem after this .

That was a great story.

I met the boss of one of the ambulance services I used to work for. Her name was Mary and she was pretty nice.

We spent quite a few late nights shooting the breeze over coffee and doughnuts. It was the only privately owned ambulance service I worked for that really cared about it's employees. Bonus's at christmas, christmas and company parties and the like. A good ole Mom and Pop service until the big guys came to town and screwed it all up.

Sounds like the transit company I work for now . I work for a private company the county contracts to . We started out with a small operation headquartered out of Gresham , Oregon that took pretty good care of us , though we didn't make a lot , now I work for the largest transportation company in the world , owned by the brits , that doesn't care about thier employees .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.