Interning in a Different State

kayo

Hey guys,

I know protocols vary by county and state but is it possible for me to do my internship in a different state? I'm just curious. I know it's also up to the school if it is allowed but I will still get my hours in and meet NR requirements. Just curious b/c I'm thinking of moving and would like to work in a new setting.

It is possible. In fact, there are schools that send you to another state for your internship because there are no suitably volumed systems in their area. No big deal. You aren't there to learn protocols anyhow. If you don't know those already, you shouldn't be in the field yet. You're there to learn how to function as a medic, evaluating and diagnosing medical conditions, and responding appropriately to specific medical needs, not painting by the numbers. You can do that, no matter what protocol differences exist.

It's all up to your school, and maybe even up to your state, but NR doesn't have a problem with it.

We have about 12 drugs in our county that we can push as a medic. We have a Level 1 Trauma Center close by and a lot of Level 2's. Txp time to a hospital is 10 minutes or less.

I want to work someplace else to get that extra experience. There's a lot of NR skills that's not in our county protocol due to short txp time. I may want to work somewhere a little more rural.

What's your take on it?

If nothing else really differs, at least I get to do a little traveling and get to experience new things.

Like Dust said, it shouldn't be a problem as long as your training institution doesn't have a problem with it. It would also be good to see a different "frame of mind" on doing things. There may be some things you could take back to your area that they could do better/different and vice versa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.