RN vs Medic

AnnaBanana

I created an account here b/c I used to belong a few years ago and really miss EMS. I am in nursing school now and I'm getting my RN in one more year.

So I'm sure you're all biased, but what do you think the pros are of being a medic versus being an RN? What options do you know of if I want to use my RN and still get out into the pre-hospital setting (part-time)?

I'm thinking of getting a job in the ED just to feel a little more like I'm still in EMS. It's in my blood I think! But I like the higher pay that I would get as an RN. So I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do.

Meanwhile it's cool to read your posts and see what's going on in your world. Thx. :)

So I'm sure you're all biased, but what do you think the pros are of being a medic versus being an RN? What options do you know of if I want to use my RN and still get out into the pre-hospital setting (part-time)?

I am not biased in the least. Having spent three decades in EMS and half as much still in nursing, I have enough experience in both to be completely objective. I am both, and I do both. Sounds like you are on to a good plan, actually. Nursing is very definitely the better degree to get if you plan to do both. Especially if you get the nursing degree before paramedic school. Medic before nursing hurts you. Nursing before medic helps you. No doubt about it. But, if you want to do both, go for it. Lots of people do. There are several of us here doing so.

The only thing I think I personally would change would be my nursing focus. Yeah, ER sounds like big fun, but it's actually not that great. It gets to be a pretty boring routine rather quickly, just like EMS. You have almost no independance or autonomy. And you just don't learn that much. It's a lot of monkey skills practise, just like a crummy EMS system. You would benefit much more from ICU or CCU nursing. You would gaien much more useful knowledge and experience, greatly enhancing your confidence as a medic. And if you do ever want to go airborne, ICU/CCU experience and certification are the golden keys.

Good luck, and have fun!

There are now more opportunities than ever for nurses outside of the hospital. Like Dustdevil stated, CCU/ICU is a great way to go. For many hospitals now, they have their own transport nurses that will accompany the patient regardless of who shows up in ambulance. Many of these nurses are trained by the Intensivists to perform skills that the paramedic does but with the protocols and knowledge of ICU. Intubation, IOs and central lines are skills that can be taught to just about anyone. The knowledge of when, how and why is the key element.

For some HEMS agencies, a Flight Paramedic needs 2 - 3 years experience with a busy EMS before applying. The Flight Nurse needs 3 - 5 years in the ICU/CCU and no paramedic experience. If the paramedic becomes a nurse during employment with the company, they must still obtain the 3 - 5 years in an ICU/CCU to be a Flight Nurse. If a nurse becomes a paramedic, it's more letters for the name tag.

As a nurse, there are many specialty transport teams to become part of. There are few things more challenging then transporting a 23 week baby, ECMO candidate or a severely injured child. Interfacility transports can be grueling because you may have already lost the first hour on trauma cases. You are now into a whole other realm of resuscitation. A septic ARDS patient that has been mismanaged in a lower level of care ICU can be one of the most difficult patients you may ever have the opportunity to transport. This applies to patients of all age ranges. Of course, this type of patient acuity is not for everyone.

If you hook up with a hospital based service, either ground and/or air - EMS and/or interfacility, you can prove yourself to the medical directors in the ICUs. The opportunities to learn and train as a nurse can be limitless. You may also not have to worry about where to go to keep the skills sharp. The ED/ICUs will be your lab with access to professional advice.

With the various states now having PHRN and MICN training programs and certifications, nurses are finally seeing how far their scope of practice can go in many different areas.

If you're motivated, there are opportunities that can give you the best of both worlds and enhance your medical career. And, did I mention the opportunity to travel as a nurse to almost anywhere in the US and beyond at someone else's expense while making an incredible wage?

I agree with Dust. Get your BSN and work in the ICU/CCU for experience. You can do EMS any time. If you really want to go big then go to anesthesia school and become a CRNA. Great job with autonomy and respect. The money isn't bad either.

Good luck with nursing school.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

I am in the same boat as you Anna. I'm currently in my first semester of nursing school, and honestly I love it. I still love EMS, and am working 2 jobs while going to school, one in hospital and one in an ambulance...

I love both worlds, and will probably take my initial focus into ED or ICU if I can. After that, I may do NP or CRNA, I haven't decided yet. Although one thing is for sure, I love my program, and I love spending time with my patients.

Good luck to you, and I hope you're having as much fun as I am!!

Wow. Thanks so much for your informative and thoughtful responses. I am going to ask for a shadow experience in the ICU or CCU. (I already asked for one for NICU since I'm sort of interested in that- used to do interfacility NICU transfers as a driver)

Sorry it took me so long to read this. I'm in the full swing of school and I have a 1 1/2 year old son to take care! (Not to mention some relatives with two children of their own moving in with us for awhile, in two days!)

It sounds like there are alot of options to still be involved in some sort of EMS experience as an RN. I definitely appreciate the encouragement to continue on to get my BSN. I was considering a doctorate of nursing practice also (like a MSN but more skills focused instead of research and management focused). I would probably do that further down the road when I'm ready to do something like work as a nurse practitioner.

I love the idea of being a flight nurse. I wonder what the physical requirements are? I am small and barely passed the physical testing to become an EMT (mostly with the lifting). Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and experiences.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.